Author Topic: Make the Physical Material in Max2017 working with Corona  (Read 14529 times)

2016-04-18, 22:53:50

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would request to have the new Physical Material in Max 2017 working directly in Corona.

Autodesk:
"The Physical Material works in Scanline, Quicksilver, ART, V-Ray and mental ray at the moment. We want all renderers to support it."

From Area blog: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/therenderingalliance/what039s-new-for-rendering-in-3ds-max-2017

2016-04-18, 23:27:33
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes please! I don't want to make a function for the scene converter for this mess of a material :D
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-04-18, 23:41:20
Reply #2

Sintel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for that
If Corona support Physical Based Material, we can work with Substance Painter, 3DO... more easily

2016-04-19, 04:52:56
Reply #3

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I did a quick test to see if the new material was behaving as a normal PBR shader.
Looking pretty good. F0 is getting dimmed by roughness and metalness 1 is fading to white.
I couldn't find a simple way to disable GI in ART, so the gradient looks like shit.

___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-04-19, 10:59:46
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Can someone make nice screenshot of all rollouts of this mat ? I can't be bothered to install Trial, nor do I plan to any soon.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-19, 11:24:29
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can someone make nice screenshot of all rollouts of this mat ? I can't be bothered to install Trial, nor do I plan to any soon.

The thing I really like about the PhysMat is that the glossiness curve is very linear, glossiness spans across the whole range in a very natural way without turning from sharp to blurry within a small range like with many other engines. What I'm missing most from the material is that there are no amount spinners for the maps.
I've attached two screengrabs. It has two modes, standard and advanced, with standard having a PBR-like Metalness value, and Advanced having both, usual Reflection and Metalness. There's an additional coating section to add another reflective layer  in a simple way. I've exapanded the rollouts in the advanced mode.

2016-04-19, 11:51:20
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you :- )

So that advanced tab let's you break PBR convention when using Metalness 0 and specifying Specular color ? But interesting it lets you set Diffuse Roughness. I presume that's the lambertian curve like in Vray, for Moon-like surface.

Since I don't see refraction, it's part of another preset ? So that you wouldn't mix it where it doesn't belong ? I could like that.

But that horrible logo :- ( What were they thinking....
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-19, 11:52:32
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, it's basically Disney PBR-ish kind of material. Quite smart, supported by Mental, ART and partially also scanline. It would be awesome to have it supported by Corona.

2016-04-19, 12:14:01
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
But that horrible logo :- ( What were they thinking....

It looks like it came straight from past century. I like it :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-04-19, 12:38:30
Reply #9

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
V-Ray is already 100% compatible with the new Physical Material in Max2017

"The Physical Material works in Scanline, Quicksilver, ART, V-Ray and mental ray at the moment."
V-Ray will support the physical material natively, yes.

Best regards,
Vlado

2016-04-19, 12:49:07
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
wow, they kept the logo?! :D I thought it was only a beta insider joke ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-19, 12:49:17
Reply #11

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah the logo... I guess it's Zap's reference to the very early days of rendering, or just his way to say 'I did it my way' :D

I would like to see it supported by Corona, too. It's no replacement for CoronaMtl however as some special features are missing, one notable being no support for environment map overrides for relfections/refractions.

As for the diffuse roughness, can't say what it does but I guess it'll be the Oren-Nayar shading model. Refraction is called Transparency here. SSS is very simple to achieve and looks good imo but it's not the same advanced SSS that we have in Corona. I guess it will be hard to translate properly to Corona's SSS so you'll probably want to use CoronaMtl here.

ART in general isn't bad at all, it's actually working well for most arch-viz related tasks but lacks some of the advanced features most advanced pipelines need. I still think it's a very good addition to Max.
Another thing they've added in 2017 and that I like very much is the new Physical Sun&Sky Map. It has some very useful parameters and you can tweak it a lot. We definitely need it to be supported by Corona. Give it a go, I'm sure you'll like it.

2016-04-19, 13:08:07
Reply #12

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
wow, they kept the logo?! :D I thought it was only a beta insider joke ;)
You should know better by now... Nothing in Beta is a joke and if it pops up in a build it's likely that it will stay this way until released ;)

Ah the logo... I guess it's Zap's reference to the very early days of rendering
That would explain several design decisions in the last couple of years :D
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-06-03, 04:53:12
Reply #13

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I finally got around to install the new V-Ray that support the ART material, here are some tests without the horrible GI for those who are interested.

ART - Plastic - 1.5

V-Ray Material 3.40.01 - 1.5

RenderMan - 1.5
« Last Edit: 2016-06-06, 00:01:39 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-06-03, 11:22:59
Reply #14

pandus2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please add Physical Material with support Falloff Map (ART renderer dont support Falloff Map).