Author Topic: LOD for Human models from the Cosmos Browser  (Read 4226 times)

2023-10-15, 10:21:59

RichardDobell

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there a LOD (Level of detail) setting that I'm missing within my Corona Settings. When I import models of Humans from the Cosmos Library, the renders that are further away look really blurry and muddy.

I've looked through as many of the menus that I can see but can't see a way to resolve it.

Attached are a few screen shots showing what I mean

2023-10-15, 12:45:31
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is hard to say what might be the reason without knowing your scene and settings, but the issue looks like a combination of too strong denoising and bad Cosmos browser materials.

Some Cosmos browser models come with, let's say questionalbe material settings that may stem from an automatic conversion of the materials from Vray to Corona. Often you will find an IOR of 1 and a glossiness of 100. So, checking if a material makes sense is helpful.

What denoising settings are you using, btw?

Michael

2023-10-15, 13:44:28
Reply #2

RichardDobell

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply, render settings are nothing fancy, attached screen shot.

It does it on all scenes - other screen shot attached.

Must a LOD thing, but scant see any references to how to change it

2023-10-15, 19:37:01
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even the white dots on the blue dress disappear.
I cannot reproduce it here in my own scene.

Do you have, by any chance, DOF active?
Or strong image filtering?
Blurring with a non-default radius?
Or could you even share the scene with just the three models from above?
« Last Edit: 2023-10-15, 19:53:04 by Cinemike »

2023-10-15, 20:44:31
Reply #4

RichardDobell

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try this...

I've removed the HDRI file from the .zip to keep it smaller...

2023-10-15, 21:43:05
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Who'd have thunk ;)

The only difference between your scene and mine was the scene scale.
Yours in mm makes a blurry result.
Converted to cm (and scaled back to real-world coordinates) unblurs it. (Steps: Project Scale from mm to cm, Scale Project from 1 cm to 0.1 cm to keep the model at 180 cm height).

Why? I have no idea ...
« Last Edit: 2023-10-15, 21:50:33 by Cinemike »

2023-10-15, 23:37:16
Reply #6

RichardDobell

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well that's just stupid - but it works.

Not too sure I can do that to every model i open from now.

Hopefully someone from Chaos will look at this tomorrow and seen if it's a known bug...

Thanks for all your help!

2023-10-15, 23:50:07
Reply #7

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Glad I could help.
When I work in cm right from the start, I never had issues with imported models from Cosmos. Maybe you can make this work for you, too.

CU
Michael

2023-10-16, 14:04:30
Reply #8

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I believe a similar topic was discussed before:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37817.msg203312#msg203312

Not sure if the blur setting of -100% (bug) is now resolved or is still a problem for textures at a certain distance.

2023-10-16, 15:48:15
Reply #9

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
I also think it is a project scale issue and related to this: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=40533.0
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-17, 16:43:25
Reply #10

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just did a project and had the same problem with bark textures on trees. I set the blur scale to -100% in the bark textures and the trees looked much better in the distance. I wonder if this setting can be done globally instead of having to adjust all textures that show up at a distance.

2023-10-17, 16:59:22
Reply #11

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
I just did a project and had the same problem with bark textures on trees. I set the blur scale to -100% in the bark textures and the trees looked much better in the distance. I wonder if this setting can be done globally instead of having to adjust all textures that show up at a distance.

In another case I had a user was also having blurry bark textures in their scene. After checking the scene and adding a figure primitive, I could see that their scale was way off. ;)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-17, 17:21:19
Reply #12

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Scale can indeed be a problem. I usually set scale to mm but I went back to keep using cm with C4D.

2023-10-19, 15:24:24
Reply #13

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello

I can confirm that almost every object from the Chaos Browser, using a Bitmap set to 0% Blur Scale basically renders blurry. You might not notice it, but textures start to blur out when you move them approximately 50 to 100 m from the camera. This should not be the case. As long as I am using no DOF everything should stay perfectly sharp. My scene is set to cm and works perfectly in terms of camera and imported objects.

I attached two examples showing the issue. It is the same figure. The distance to the camera of the person in the foreground is about 5m. The second person in the background is in 120m in distance and just scaled 10 times to appear larger. Both should definitely display perfectly sharp. Only when setting the Blur Scale to -100% it appears correct. You can see in the second image.

I better not check all images and far objects I rendered in the past 1-2 years ...

Why is it even set like this as default ? It really is a quality issue.

Best – A
« Last Edit: 2023-10-19, 15:48:26 by ASIMO »

2023-10-19, 15:33:51
Reply #14

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile

In another case I had a user was also having blurry bark textures in their scene. After checking the scene and adding a figure primitive, I could see that their scale was way off. ;)

Hello

It is not a scale/units problem. It is easy to test. Setting my scene to mm, cm or m does not change anything. All objects are correctly scaled and still the issue appears the same way.

Best – A
« Last Edit: 2023-10-19, 15:47:20 by ASIMO »