Author Topic: Sample multiplier per material/object?  (Read 4869 times)

2020-04-10, 19:01:45

Tamyl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there. While the sampling algorithms are already great and do the job perfectly in 99% cases, there some cases where one object is much more noisy than the other. Sometimes because of its material, sometimes we don't actually know why :) Instead of improving the sampling methods, is it possible to add a spinner value called "Sampling multiplier" in a CoronaMtl (or maybe in the object properties instead of material?) to upsample a specific object?

I'm adding an example of it - the image looks decent except of the black chair, which is pretty noisy.

2020-04-10, 19:35:27
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This would be contrary to the philosophy of Corona :) In the case of the chair, does it have a bump map on it, and are you using Corona High Quality Denoising? (things with bump maps get denoised less so as not to lose the detail in the bump map). Also not entirely sure I would call that noise, can you share the material for that? It looks more like an accurate representation of the material (noise is usually a pattern of darker and lighter pixels while this looks like scratches on the material)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-04-17, 16:17:00
Reply #2

Tamyl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's right, it has a bump map on it. If I remove it - the noise disappears, but I don't want to remove it. In the animation there are fireflies flickering randomly on this surface, so doesn't it mean the chair is undersampled comparing to the other objects in the scene?

2020-04-17, 16:21:16
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Depends, if you are using denoising, it may just be getting denoised less (and so more rendering passes/lower noise limit would be a solution there). But, can't really tell without seeing what those fireflies look like, and without knowing if you are using Corona HQ Denoising.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-01-14, 21:20:42
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we wont add individual sampling multipliers, sorry ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)