Author Topic: spot varnish  (Read 2985 times)

2019-09-11, 17:14:00

mitchino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm wondering about the best way to create a spot varnish area on a label. The varnish crosses different inks on the label. The label is textured with a layered material with image masks for all the different inks. The 'Flavour Matters' stamp should be a varnish.

I can't seem to get it working, it always looks opaque, it's supposed to look transparent and glossy with a slight bump.

Anyone done this successfully?

2019-09-12, 09:59:03
Reply #1

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Duplicate the label material & make it glossy.
Stack the new glossy label on top of the base material.
Add the area you want as a varninsh as a alpha channel in the label art - then load that alpha into the opacity slot to mask the area out.
Copy the alpha into the bump channel and give it a small blur to give it some depth.

2019-09-12, 11:21:12
Reply #2

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh - on second reading I see you're using a layered material which complicates matters.
So actually it will probably better to duplicate and slightly offset the label geometry. Add a glass material with refraction set to 1. Opacity and bump as previously described. Result attached.

2019-09-12, 11:48:19
Reply #3

mitchino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
that looks great, thanks very much

2019-09-12, 20:53:02
Reply #4

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
for it to work right, its textures should only be in bump and reflection channels
would help a lot if you'd supply a tester, an exemplary file or at least show how your shader/material is constructed