Author Topic: Laggy Corona Colour Picker  (Read 2898 times)

2018-12-20, 11:40:49

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not sure if i should post it to bug reporting board, but i think that something must be done with Corona colour picker responsiveness. I've been using CCP for a year or so now and i think that it gradually changed from pretty snappy to pretty laggy. I didn't realize how much of an issue this is, untill i changed to native colour picker couple days ago. OMG, i couldn't believe how responsive and fast native picker feels, it was like taking winter gloves off while trying fixing swiss watch. I changed to native picker because of annoying CCP's sRGB/RGB display discrepency, but i'm sticking to it because responsiveness.

Please fix CCP if possible, i really miss its advanced features, but i wont go back to it in its current state.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-12-20, 16:02:48
Reply #1

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
I notice this too. It is slow for sure. But I do like the picker so I power through it. Thought it was just me really :)

2019-03-01, 13:35:24
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Confirmed and logged.
(internal id=324886080)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-10-15, 15:03:27
Reply #3

speltospel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • closeupvisual.com
Are there any changes in this direction?
I also switched to an native picker. a new picker is called with a delay of about 2 seconds.

2022-10-16, 17:10:15
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Which version of Corona (and host software) are you using? The Color Picker was greatly improved in 8, let alone any improvements that might also be in 9.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-10-16, 19:13:49
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
While there indeed has been substantial improvements since my original report, lately i find that colour picker's performance significantly degrades throughout lengthy Max session. If at the beginning of the session colour picker is pretty snappy, then couple hours later it's not unusual to have couple seconds delay between clicking on colour swatch and colour picker appearance on the screen. Usually things improves again after After Max restart.

2022-10-17, 02:42:16
Reply #6

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Which version of Corona (and host software) are you using? The Color Picker was greatly improved in 8, let alone any improvements that might also be in 9.

Really, Tom? My man, I really appreciate all the team hard work and how supportive you are most of the time. However, I think I speak for many users when I say that it's really annoying when we try to point out some important issues and we receive this type of answers where you kind of deny the problem and try to shows us that everything is working great. This kind of reminds me what Lele's used to do all the time in Vray forum, which ended up with many users feeling their complaints where invalidated very often.

The issue brought by Romullus is VERY REAL. Even I reported it a couple of months ago (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=36166.msg197538#msg197538). In that thread at least you recognized this was a problem and blamed Autodesk. How is it that now, when Romulus mentions it again, you just point out how much improvement the color picker has received in version 9?

I'm on Corona 9R4 and Max 2022.2, and still have to deal with this issue every day. This is a serious issue that not only makes our daily work less enjoyable but also kills productivity.

« Last Edit: 2022-10-17, 02:47:56 by Basshunter »

2022-10-17, 09:33:27
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Nobody is denying the problem, it's just essential we know what version you are on as this makes a huge difference. You can always automatically include that information when reporting a problem, then I won't have to reply just to ask, and we can get on with replies about the issue itself :)

2022-10-17, 09:46:16
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think you simply misunderstood Tom's intentions. IMO he just wants to get assurance that it's not the case of reporter using very old Corona version, where some bugs may be present that are fixed in latest release. It is very true that Corona colour picker has been improved in latest versions, in fact the most recent fix was introduced just a few builds ago and it greatly reduced overall lagginess and that what my original report was about. The issue with increasing delay in CCP appearance on the screen is quite recent, at least in my experience, so it's only natural that Tom wants to have additional information about software version. I'm currently on Corona 9 RC4 and Max 2023.2 and i have pretty decent experience with Corona colour picker, except aforementioned delay.

edit: ah, Tom beat me with his own explanations :]

2022-10-17, 09:53:17
Reply #9

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep you nailed it Romulus! Makes a world of difference if we are talking about Corona 6 (which I believe this thread started with), or 9 RC4. TY for providing the info btw!

2022-10-17, 17:21:41
Reply #10

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm still trying to see how I misunderstood the whole thing but if this was the case, I apologize.

My point is that even in Version 9 R4, I still have to deal with a CCP that takes too long to pop up. I'm sorry for being harsh, Tom. I could have expressed my frustration with kinder words.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-17, 17:29:21 by Basshunter »

2022-10-17, 17:25:19
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No worries as it should not be doing that, and that would get annoying indeed. Just had to know for sure which version so we can direct our efforts accordingly :)

2022-11-19, 01:21:48
Reply #12

speltospel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • closeupvisual.com

Corona 9, Max 2023.1

yes, I noticed that it has the effect of the duration of the session as they write above. I switched from the standard picker to the corona picker and it was pretty fast (though not as fast as the standard picker) but after a few hours it started to slow down again.