Author Topic: No Denoise available on light mix, correct way to comp to create same result  (Read 3375 times)

2020-07-28, 12:39:20

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been playing round alot with lightmix lately, but as it doesn't have denoise function. What is the correct way to comp lightselect layers so that it is the same as light mix if anyone has a workflow for this that would be greatly appreciated

2020-07-28, 13:54:07
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure what you mean by "doesn't have denoise available" - you most certainly can denoise LightMix, by enabling denoising for each LightSelect layer. Can you explain more about what you mean about it not being available?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-28, 16:10:58
Reply #2

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure, so say i have my lights set up on light select passes, All with Denoise applied, light mix has no option for denoise on the lightmix pass so that is left as is.

Then when it goes through denoising there is difference in noise levels between lightmix and the beauty pass. Unless its a case of ensuring you have every light in a scene on light select passes to ensure all are denoised for the lightmix pass?

Be cool if we had a Lightrest pass for any straggling lights if this is the case

I've attached some images of what i mean.

2020-07-29, 07:00:29
Reply #3

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
Sure, so say i have my lights set up on light select passes, All with Denoise applied, light mix has no option for denoise on the lightmix pass so that is left as is.

same here....denoise does not work on individual light mix layers

2020-07-29, 14:37:39
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
same here....denoise does not work on individual light mix layers

Well, that is not quite the same :) The original post is about lights that are not in LightSelects, and that they appear in the Rest (Unassigned) layer which can't be denoised, though all the others can. You are saying that no LightSelects can be denoised - can you share the scene, or at least screengrabs of the LightMix set up? Remember that denoising has to be enabled for each LightSelect in the Multipass settings.

2020-07-29, 18:02:04
Reply #5

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
From what you've said, i take it that the correct way to have a full denoised light mix is to just ensure all lights are in light selects with denoise turned on. Correct TomG?

2020-07-29, 18:15:39
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! Yes, that would be the way at present. Just add all lights that you don't need to control via LightMix into an "extra" LightSelect, and then you can enable denoising for it, and you can just ignore that extra one when tweaking LightMix settings in the VFB (as it would be adjusting all sorts of unrelated lights).

If possible, in future it would be good to have a checkbox for a LightSelect "Include all lights not already in a lightselect" and then you don't have to worry about manually adding all the lights (as they could be easy to miss). You'd create your extra LightSelect as before, but then just check that box. We'll take a look into it.

2020-07-29, 18:27:35
Reply #7

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Spot on, Will keep that in mind, Yeah usually i only put the main Lights i want to play on passes. Arch viz scenes can get silly when your dragging in Meshes, keeping on top of all the lights is a bit of a pain, as they can be on materials. Will manually put them on a light pass for now. Thanks for the advice, very helpful and great if you guys look into a lightselect 'rest' pass (Y) Kudos TomG

2020-07-29, 18:30:52
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome, and that will get you up and running for now (albeit not quite as convenient as we hope to make it in the future!)