Author Topic: Help explaining the distance shader please  (Read 2250 times)

2021-04-10, 06:26:45

caspian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've clicked on the [help] button and read the document for the distance shader but I still can't quite work out how to use it. I have a sand material that I'd like to fade out towards the horizon revealing a rock material on a duplicate object. But I can't make that happen. I also get some text overlaying the sand too which is very odd. Here's a screenshot of my material setup, which I tried to base off the sea foam example.
Can anyone help out?
C4D 2023 / Corona 9 / Mac 12.6

2021-04-10, 15:19:50
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The text on top of the preview is telling you to assign an object to the "Distance from" area (bottom of the shader settings).
Without that assignment, the shader cannot know from which other object it should measure the distance.

CU
Michael

PS

I am also not sure why you need a distance shader here at all. Would not overlaying a second material with a gradient in opacity do the same?
« Last Edit: 2021-04-10, 15:55:47 by Cinemike »

2021-04-10, 22:19:29
Reply #2

caspian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your help – The reason for using the distance shader was just to learn how to use it.
I've got it working now. Sort of. But the output from the interactive renderer is different than the picture viewer. Is this expected?

2021-04-11, 05:35:19
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you using v6 and multi-instances?
V7 fixed a couple of issues with them, but it's still not working perfectly - if you don't already, give it a try, it's quite a lot better, though!
Besides, IR has problems with updating fields, it needs a lot of manaul updating.

CU
Michael

2021-04-11, 06:49:41
Reply #4

caspian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
V6 yes. but I'm not using any instances in this scene. Probably should come to think of it.
Maybe it's the displacements and not the distance shader that is causing the differences between the IR and PV.
I'll download v7 and give it a go. I'm assuming its easy to revert back to v6 if I need more stability?
cheers

2021-04-11, 15:54:17
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
V6 yes. but I'm not using any instances in this scene. Probably should come to think of it.
Maybe it's the displacements and not the distance shader that is causing the differences between the IR and PV.
I'll download v7 and give it a go. I'm assuming its easy to revert back to v6 if I need more stability?
cheers

I drag and drop the old Corona directory from within plugins to somewhere else and install the new one.
Exchanging the versions is as easy as simply swapping the directories later.

Good luck.

Displacement in IR got an update. too.