Author Topic: Access material in one click  (Read 1310 times)

2022-11-08, 14:40:15

swayne

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to access materials faster, in one click. I attached an animated gif to show what I mean.
Shortcut could be Shift+Click, or Alt+Click, or Ctrl+Click... whatever.

Additionally,
could you work with Autodesk to make sure we can successfully apply a hotkey shortcut to the "Pick Material From Object" tool?
I use it 100 times a day, whichever shortcut I assign to it, it doesn't work (tried it in max 2020 and 2023)

« Last Edit: 2022-11-08, 14:58:53 by swayne »

2022-11-08, 15:42:43
Reply #1

chocolatecookie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
one a scale of 1 to 5 ---------> +6 for first suggestion

second one +5

2022-11-08, 16:23:38
Reply #2

Tok_Tok

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Second one +1.000.000! This has been broken for years and it would be so useful. But I guess it's an autodesk thing

2022-11-10, 15:06:28
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The idea is nice and actually there is a way to do it currently.

Pick Material from Object is intended for [Compact] Material Editor but not for Slate Material Editor, apparently. You can see that in the Hotkey editor. Setting a hotkey will work for [Compact] Material Editor but will not for Slate Material Editor, which is strange indeed. In fact, such hotkey action is present only for Material Editor group and is not in SME group, when selected from the dropdown in Hotkey editor.

Meanwhile Get from Selected works as expected.
That means you can set a hotkey for Get from Selected (for SME group), select the object in VFB by Pick, go to SME and hit the hotkey.

Hope this is a good enough workaround.
Meanwhile a feature request will be created for a more convenient shortcuts for selecting objects and getting materials from them - e.g. Ctrl + Click for selecting, Shift + Click for getting material etc.

(Internal ID=1003649907)
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2022-11-10, 15:54:36
Reply #4

swayne

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your answer and as much as I appreciate your suggestion, I want a one click option from the vfb to the Slate Material Editor.

The workaround you suggest involves 3 actions:
1) click the object in the scene
2) click on the SME panel
3) type assigned shortcut
Repeat

A workaround of 3 actions for what should be one click or one shortcut is just not good enough. One click would be so much quicker, and there would be no risk of accidentally moving something in the scene.

My work involves playing a lot with different materials, fine tune them all the time (little bit more blue, little bit less glossy, etc). Fingers crossed it’s gonna happen. I am impressed by the parametric clouds you implemented in v9, but as I’m not working in architecture I couldn’t care less about that. The little things guys. The little things.

2022-11-10, 16:27:30
Reply #5

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to access materials faster, in one click. I attached an animated gif to show what I mean.
Shortcut could be Shift+Click, or Alt+Click, or Ctrl+Click... whatever.

Additionally,
could you work with Autodesk to make sure we can successfully apply a hotkey shortcut to the "Pick Material From Object" tool?
I use it 100 times a day, whichever shortcut I assign to it, it doesn't work (tried it in max 2020 and 2023)

I'd really like this idea if it worked also with the docked IR. For that the docked IR needs work I believe, since the rendered image doesn't stay after stopping it.

2022-11-16, 11:59:23
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is a really nice idea.

+1

2022-11-17, 09:51:44
Reply #7

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not officially Autodesk but a friend of mine created this script a few years ago - originally for grabbing a single sub material from objects

https://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/submaterial-picker

2022-11-18, 14:48:51
Reply #8

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
Additionally,

Just some help with the shortcut. The specific ACTION is called "Get from Selection" and the GROUP is the SME. So you are not applying this hotkey to the right Action, that is why it deos not work. I use this all day, every day, that's why I knew something was wrong. The "Get Material from selection" is a difrent ACTION where you have to click the button and then select an object.
Rendering since 2014