Author Topic: Improve Corona AO or make proper curvature map, please!  (Read 5776 times)

2020-09-15, 11:46:26

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
I know I have requested curvature map before. But I would like to give an example of another problem with Corona AO, which should be considered if possible to fix or to make the curvature map for the next update, and that is render speeds. If you use the Corona AO for worn edges and such the render speeds are increasing DRAMATICALLY! Just as an example, here's a simple metal rocket. Without the corona AO it takes literally 2 seconds. But once I add a couple of layered materials with Corona AO to make worn edges render time is up to 3 minutes for this tiny 512px simple model with a noise level of 4%. (and I have a 32 core threadripper)

2020-09-15, 15:42:29
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Noise level of 4% may mean a completely different thing for the image version with no AO and for the one with AO. What happens if you use a time limit or pass limit? Is the difference to reach similar quality still so high?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-09-15, 19:34:52
Reply #2

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
The result is the same,
20 passes, takes 2 seconds with just metallic. With 2 metallic materials and a AO for edge and another AO for a simple matte black AO and boom it takes 3 minutes to render 20 passes and the image is a lot more noisy too.

2020-09-15, 21:16:15
Reply #3

maherkhedder

JoachimArt, Could you please share the scene with the materials to help you.

2020-09-16, 10:29:05
Reply #4

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Hi, after investigating, I see that even though AO slows down the render aa bit, the tiny light texture was causing the main issue. I had set it to use corona light which for some reason created a lot of problems, so adding it as a self illuminated material increased render times a lot. :)

2020-09-16, 17:24:36
Reply #5

maherkhedder

Hi, Yes it takes little time to calculate and it depends on your computer, samples, and render settings.
Anyway glad to hear that your problem has been solved.

2020-09-16, 17:34:04
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So the issue was unrelated to AO and everything is fine now?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-01-14, 21:24:08
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
will be in v8
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)