Author Topic: Exclude from camera clipping.  (Read 4142 times)

2019-01-11, 09:00:46

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can we get the option to exclude certain objects from camera clipping just as we can exclute them from visibility ?
Thank you !

2019-01-18, 09:40:38
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So the objects would be still visible, even if they are outside of the clipping limits?
Can you provide a typical use case for this?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-01-18, 11:04:03
Reply #2

j_man

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Minmud
This sounds like something you would accomplish by compositing two renders together.

J.

2019-01-18, 11:32:46
Reply #3

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This sounds like something you would accomplish by compositing two renders together.

J.

You think :) ? I know I can. But I'd rather do what I have to in one render and not wait for two different shots to get rendered.

So the objects would be still visible, even if they are outside of the clipping limits?
Can you provide a typical use case for this?

Let's say we have a small bathroom with objects like baskets etc standing on the floor. You are rendering the shot at an angle so while  clipping you can for example clip the shower curtain obscuring the view but you also clip forementioned basket, and you don't want that because client requests it to be visible. Vignette type of thing.

Other situation is where you have a continuous mesh like a room walls and you have to clip part of it while you want to retain visibility of the other part that would get clipped. You'd have to split the mesh to either exclude one part from being visible for that particular camera (we have that option already, but it affects also lighting) but for different reasons you can't do that.

If this is still not clear i will upload some simple scene.

2019-01-18, 12:36:50
Reply #4

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sometimes I wish I could be able to simply tilt the clipping plane so that it isn't parallel to the camera. I think that in many cases it could accomplish the same effect without having to deal with include/exclude lists…
Do you think it coud be possible/useful, Maru?

Patrick

2019-01-18, 12:45:05
Reply #5

j_man

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Minmud
You think :) ? I know I can. But I'd rather do what I have to in one render and not wait for two different shots to get rendered.

There are lots of things I'd like < : Why limit your toolbox? Statesets would also make this easy.

AFAIK the way camera clipping works means that your request is not possible. Another way around this would be to slice the geometry and assign a Rayswitch material with a Coronamaterial in only the Global Illumination slot to the part that you want to hide from the camera.

J.

2019-01-18, 22:41:17
Reply #6

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd rather hear whether it is doable or not from the devs :) I still think that would be usefull and remember people asking for it but it got no attention back then. Cant find the thread right now unfortunately.

edit: found it:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=18875.msg118103#msg118103
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20876.msg129575#msg129575 another take on the subject, but clipping exclude would do the trick here
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=19676.msg122912#msg122912 another one

I'm pretty sure this isn't all one could find across the forum.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-18, 22:46:17 by bluebox »