Author Topic: Subpixel WIP/finished work thread  (Read 170707 times)

2015-03-10, 15:00:09
Reply #90

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Sure, here they are..I was aiming to add as many details to shader as possible to distract the eye from treating it as CGI surface therefore some of them might be a bit complicated

fabric canvas 1

brushed aluminium

antique brass

copper

chrome scratched

hunter pine

provence oak

lyon walnut

2015-03-10, 16:53:45
Reply #91

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for posting these screenshots. Would you mind uploading them to CML? I can foresee these taking hours to recreate otherwise! :) Some crazy nested blends, falloffs and AO that I can't get my head around from just the screenshots.
Vray who?

2015-03-12, 07:09:15
Reply #92

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for posting these screenshots. Would you mind uploading them to CML? I can foresee these taking hours to recreate otherwise! :) Some crazy nested blends, falloffs and AO that I can't get my head around from just the screenshots.

But you should try, since that's the way you learn new things :)

2015-03-12, 07:13:49
Reply #93

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@agentdark I am preparing a long reply in which I will clarify things and explain what I did and why :) I think it is better than just copying materials at least I learn much more when somebody explains what he does instead of giving all his files for everyone ..Will post it as soon as I´ll have it finished :)

2015-03-13, 09:28:55
Reply #94

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fabric shader basically uses 3 differently tiled and rotated (90 degree) though the same black and white texture which is used to mix colors afterwards (this is something I really like as long as I can accept this fabric structure because I don´t need to search for thousands of different fabric textures in various colors, I just add the color combination that I like and try to match it with mixing colors :) . The reason of using 3 mixed textures is that altough the basic texture is seamless and tileable it is veeery easy to spot the repetition on objects and this approach hides it at least a little..In corona mix texture I use basic mix option with mix mask. Then there is falloff in composite map with texture on top so that a falloff is not so clean (this is approach seen for example on eduard caliman fabric shaders, then another composite map layered like this - basic diffuse texture, lifted diffuse texture for falloff property (I use here output map not color correction - it is easy to tweak contrast and brightness even vith curves of previous composite textures because in this case I would otherwise need to tweak each texture individually and this option just add this editing option on the top of everything), then this texture is of course masked with falloff with variance and last layer is just some dirt texture to give a little more color variation to the surface.
Then there is AO map which should produce effect of darkening the fabric in cavities and edges ..this is something I spotted for example on Bertrands´s shaders
For bump I use simple composite of wrinkles map and contrasty fabric map (of course everything BW) ..So in the end it is just diffuse and bump :) it is more about experimenting with each map intensity to produce shader that is believable

Brushed aluminium shader consists of two blended materials – one represents brushed coating and one anisotropic material masked with falloff map. Both materials have falloff map plugged in refl. color slot and fresnel ior turned off (999) , diffuse element is absolute black. Brushed material has simple aluminium texture plugged in refl. glossiness slot – when trying to match real world references I tend to use a little trick of Grant Warwick (I like how logically he creates shaders ) it goes like this – Observe real world reference and try to match basic refl. glossiness value just by playing with number from 0 to 1 ..When you are as close as possible plug in the map so that it can control the glossiness amount and play with output by enabling color map and tweak brightness and contrast in black and white mode. When you think you are close to desired result, in map rollout turn off and back on refl.glossiness slot to see if previously eyeballed glossiness matches with map controlled one. And if not tweak brightness and contrast even further. To simulate brushing I use normal map created from glossiness map.

Antique brass consits of two blended materials of different glossiness (but other than that they are pretty the same materials – this is step where it might be simplified – by not using blend as corona has ggx reflection model implemented) . The approach uses the same logic as above – firstly try to play with basic material glossiness and here even with reflection color as observed in real world antique brass material. Then there comes detailing of refl. color falloff map as antique brass has kind of brushed structure. This is represented by two mixed bercon noise textures – each with slightly different rotation (of 3 degree max) as the veins don´t go perfectly in ortho directions  and I like bercon noise feature of distorting the noise map with another noise map and that is what I´ve done here with reflection color. Before plugging falloff map in refl. color slot I tried to implement another important property of this material and that is almost black or at least very different and darker color in cavities and edges – this is represented by ambient occlusion map – when occluded displays material as noisy mix between darkened basic refl. color and almost black – here you can experiment as long as you wish based on reference you are trying to recreate. I didn´t like the perfection of AO distribution in cavities so I plugged in noise map to control AO distance. Now I should have my refl. map finished and what I like before applying it to material is to apply this final step (AO map) in the diffuse slot of basic matte corona material – you get very good idea of what´s happening on the shader and have chance to control the parameters until you are satisfied. For bump I like to use bercon noise with distortion because it adds to realism of the shader with slight imperfections to the surface. I used composite map of scratches and noise basically. And that´s it.

Copper uses the same approach as antique brass with slightly different maps that represent its properties the best (just search through the internet) What is maybe a bit different here is that I experimented with diffuse element to add color variation to the surface (but other than that I let the diffuse element black when creating metals)

Scratched chrome uses approach seen on Viscorbel website.. Very simple – create scratchy chrome with hand painted map in photoshop or just some from the internet and then create clean metal – and mask them with falloff set to fresnel .

Wood textures – Each of them consists of diffuse (textures from admira edited in photoshop to make them seamless and tileable) refl. glossiness  and bump. Either way they are represented by the same map or slightly different in terms of brightness and contrast.
I hope I made things clearer with this post. I am really thankful that there are artists among us who want to share their valuable knowledge. So I take no credit for myself :)

2015-04-03, 11:21:17
Reply #95

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Showcasing today personal project based on image on Poliform website which has a nice winter atmosphere and with it came a lot of personal challenges like realistic fire, snow, hair and fur simulation a bit of motion blur and depth of field. The only thing that is not 3D is that tree backplate. Learnt a lot about particle systems and it´s been toon of fun.. hope you like it !

2015-04-03, 15:11:22
Reply #96

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Very nice fire but the fireplace looks dangerous as hell! :D
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-04-05, 22:36:50
Reply #97

klipanos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
perfect !!! i really like them!!!

2015-04-05, 22:39:04
Reply #98

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks a lot guys ! maru you are right about that fireplace not being the safest one :D

2015-04-10, 11:38:45
Reply #99

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sometimes everybody needs rest from archviz  and to do a couple of strawberries :D

2015-04-10, 22:25:58
Reply #100

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice on most aspect but the strawberry in foreground lack some "hole" to stay polite :)
It seems facing backward, may be too long absorption too, I'm not sure a strawberry as so much SSS going thru...

All in all still excellent image only that item seems a bit weird and dim your overall realisation. Imho indeed

2015-04-10, 22:36:00
Reply #101

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Utroll I don´t think it is perfect either:) so you might be right..it is in the end much more difficult to create convincing sss especially when doing organics then I thought and gave me a lot of headache so I am just giving up for now and might return to it in the future

2015-04-11, 22:59:36
Reply #102

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have made a little update as there was a problem in sss behaviour when applying vertex paint mask to blend two materials. Now made it with gradient ramp and looks hopefully better. Let me know what do you think

2015-04-12, 22:21:42
Reply #103

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-04-22, 11:55:38
Reply #104

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you PROH!

For the first time doing render for print industry. This one will be printed on the wall in Zuckermandel showroom in Bratislava..never before have done rendering at 8k resolution so once again I utilized render farm service