Author Topic: Scene has slower viewport performance with Corona 11 than Corona 10  (Read 926 times)

2024-01-18, 10:53:42

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Originally posted here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=41408.msg219919#msg219919
The thread above has a reply for this issue as well, but is for general 3ds Max UI sluggishness, with or without the combination of Corona.

This will be the specific thread for this issue, as a bug report (for the sake of finding it better) - scene has slower viewport performance with Corona 11 than Corona 10.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-01-18, 10:56:36
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The root cause of this has been found. It is because of having a material previewed in the viewport, which has input in BaseColor slot involving MappingRandomizer. Can be texture specific too.
Removing MappingRandomizer from material tree (but keeping the rest) or disabling the material's preview in viewport fixed the slow viewport.

(Internal ID=1284851510)

2024-01-18, 14:00:06
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Was this addressed in the recent hotfix? If not, are likely to get a second hotfix?  I'd say a large portion of us are using mapping randomizer.  Removing it just from the BaseColour isn't really a valid option.  I'd say that's the most important map slot for it to be used in.

2024-01-18, 14:13:50
Reply #3

dreamersdj

• Active Users
  • Lo que imagines te lo hago...
    • View Profile
    • Radart
Will this be addressed in the next hotfix? We can't disconnect the uvrandomizer map from basecolor. What's the point of having a uvrandomizer if you can't use it?

2024-01-18, 20:11:04
Reply #4

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Was this addressed in the recent hotfix? If not, are likely to get a second hotfix?  I'd say a large portion of us are using mapping randomizer.  Removing it just from the BaseColour isn't really a valid option.  I'd say that's the most important map slot for it to be used in.
Yes, it is Corona 11 and Corona 11 HF1 problem.

@Aram Avetisyan
Thanks for creating this thread !

2024-01-19, 09:30:12
Reply #5

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

It is not suggested to remove MappingRandomizer from BaseColor slot of material or not have it at all - this was mentioned for identifying for anyone interested where the issue was.
The issue is when such material is previewed in the viewport - mapping randomizer is not going to be previewed in the viewport fully anyways (base texture with simple tiling is previewed), so just disabling the material preview will be enough.

By the way - this case was scene/material/object specific (not able to reproduce in a simple scene) and was exactly because of CoronaColorCorrect > CoronaMappingRandomizer > BaseColor slot (without any inputs, any of them) for a material, which is previewed in the viewport (probably for these specific objects too). A new material from scratch was creating like mentioned, and the viewport was slow.

But what is the strangest part - if the same material was applied to ALL of the objects in the scene, the viewport was fast, from 5 fps to 90fps...
Even if the original user submitted material was applied to all the objects in the scene, the viewport was fast... but not if applied to the original objects.
It was a very strange scene indeed.

2024-02-10, 15:41:47
Reply #6

besto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just updated to corona 11 and worked on a scene previously made with corona 9.
finally found the elements. as soon as i turned the objects with the problematic material on the fps dropped to 0-3.
i do use randomizer regularly. in this case removing the randomizer didnt help. i also had to use the multimap too (which i always use for color variations).

please fix this. i will run into problems with most of the scenes now!

2024-02-10, 20:40:55
Reply #7

besto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
problem still exists for me although i removed randomizer.
seems to a problem with an arroway texture (they are large of course). i use arroway textures for wood a lot and never ran into any problem with previous corona version. i can send u scene if u like?

2024-02-12, 10:38:38
Reply #8

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
problem still exists for me although i removed randomizer.
seems to a problem with an arroway texture (they are large of course). i use arroway textures for wood a lot and never ran into any problem with previous corona version. i can send u scene if u like?

Hi,

Can you please send the archive of the scene (File > Archive) so I can have a look?
You can do so by sending a ticket here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2024-02-12, 12:11:46
Reply #9

besto

• Active Users
    • View Profile