Author Topic: Material preview not updating in SME 3dsMax 2024  (Read 843 times)

2024-01-06, 15:15:57

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I recently updated to 3ds Max 2024.2 and everytime i open the Slate Material Editor the material shown as selected in Scene Materials is wrong. If I select another object in the scene it updates correctly. If it's the first time I open SME (and it doesn't have a material cached) and i have an object selected, it will show nothing.

It's like the SME Scene Materials (with filter selected objects enabled) doesn't update when it's closed but only if it's open.

I'm not sure if this is a Corona bug or a 3ds Max bug. Anyone on 2024.2 experiencing the same?

2024-01-09, 14:51:16
Reply #1

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone else on Max 2024.2 ? :)

2024-01-09, 15:01:35
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm on Max 2024.2 but to be honest i'm struggling to understand the issue. Can you describe it more clearly? Maybe add some screenshots, or record a short video.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-01-09, 15:21:59
Reply #3

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok so you know how you can have the selected object's material show in the Scene Materials Rollout in the SME (with Filter Selected Objects enabled - see attached screenshot).

This is very useful as you can quickly instance and modify it right after opening the SME, as long as you have its object selected in the scene.

In 2024.2, as opposed to 2023 which I had before, the material listed right after you open the SME is not correct. Selecting another object while having the SME open updates it correctly.

2024-01-09, 15:27:01
Reply #4

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow you get previews? I never noticed this lol. I always thought it was meant to be teapot :D

2024-01-09, 15:39:54
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I never ever used that feature, but gave it a try and can confirm, when SME is closed, the selection is not updating. Not sure if that's Corona bug though, did you try to replicate this with another renderer, like Arnold, or V-ray?

Edit: it's the same in Arnold. Probably not Corona bug. I think you should report it to Autodesk.

2024-01-09, 16:08:30
Reply #6

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In 2024 they introduced a dockable SME along with other improvements to the material editor, so maybe this little bug slipped in.

All in all I find the SME in 2024 to be a bit faster and less laggy than before, but I haven't tested it that much to be certain.

Will report to Autodesk, thanks!

2024-01-09, 16:43:59
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
In 2024 they introduced a dockable SME along with other improvements to the material editor, so maybe this little bug slipped in.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i was never be able to dock SME in Max 2024, for me it's simply not working. Sorry for off-topic.

2024-01-09, 17:11:29
Reply #8

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah it's hidden, you have to enable Dockable under Modes menu in SME!

2024-01-09, 19:16:15
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh, right. Thank you! :]

2024-04-11, 10:52:34
Reply #10

ant_march

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Preview window for a material window updates to any random map when adding nodes (eg Corona Colour Correct) to a bitmap

Preview window used to dock when double clicked to a neat position ABOVE my material map browser, now the single square preview window occupies a whole vertical column!  In fact I cannot dock it into the Material editor 'pane' at all.

I upgraded from 2022 to 2024 due to erroneous bugs disrupting workflow with every annual release of Max.  In 2022 I could drag straight from the preview window of any map (HDRI & Colour correct) to any map slot in the render panel or environment panel, or the preview window of any material to the Overide slot.  Not anymore in 2024!
I right click on said environment map slot in the render panel, I want to navigate (using legacy browser configured in SME) to look for the HDRi maps in my material editor to assign, the material editor shows that I have NO unassigned maps/materials in my editor !?!
The only way for me to assign an HDRI to a render panel slot is to put the HDRi into a Corona Select node slot.

Show shaded material in viewport button not working, have to right click on material to assign.

Either a very broken install, or lots of bugs.  I can't wait to get off this version, I dread working on materials now in 2024.  If it's not broke, don't fix it is definitely not an Autodesk mantra.