Author Topic: Looking for advice on 2990wx workstation build  (Read 2945 times)

2018-11-14, 22:38:05

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Last time I posted that i was trying to build a 4k workstation with 2990wx and 128Gb for corona renders mostly.

Obviously I am for the moment beyond 4k and id like to minimize the price and optimize if possible.  But the main subject is not doing a big beginner mistake in picking parts, since I havent built a workstation for a veryyyyy long time.
If you could just have an look at my temporary build and thell me what you think that would be nice.

here is the link to the build :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSDI0gFUm9Uc-J8DICseyRcWalwHXPO1R3jcTO1ttAOmwMZNMKq7m_eR5vZN-8MSq-FV3BmbCiHNQ4P/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true
Thank you

« Last Edit: 2018-11-15, 10:08:28 by PsychoBoyJack »

2018-11-15, 10:33:57
Reply #1

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
I just finished my build a few weeks ago and this is what I got.

2990wx
Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 CPU cooler- I added a 2nd fan to keep the noise down because at 100% it sounds like an aircraft taking off. Both are running at 50% and are quite.
Msi meg x399 creation (latest beta bios thats floating around msi forums)
Flare x 2933 CL14 (F4-2933C14Q-64GFX) 64gb 4x16
1080TI
1300W SEASONIC Prime ultra 80plus platinum
500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

I had an issue with the pc not turning on once it was uplugged from the wall but that was just a setting in the bios. Everything worked well together though and it has been working great now for a few weeks!

I would get at least a 1000w psu, My 2990wx is using almost 400w by itself when rendering using PBO.

Hope that helps.

2018-11-15, 11:03:51
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Nice build from James :- ). Wouldn't change anything about it at all !

Double co-sign under the 1000W+ PSUs. It's both good to have PSU running at lower capacity and to have leeway. Additional bonus is the PSU will be more silent as it can run in semi-passive mode.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-15, 11:14:58
Reply #3

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just finished my build a few weeks ago and this is what I got.

2990wx
Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 CPU cooler- I added a 2nd fan to keep the noise down because at 100% it sounds like an aircraft taking off. Both are running at 50% and are quite.
Msi meg x399 creation (latest beta bios thats floating around msi forums)
Flare x 2933 CL14 (F4-2933C14Q-64GFX) 64gb 4x16
1080TI
1300W SEASONIC Prime ultra 80plus platinum
500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

I had an issue with the pc not turning on once it was uplugged from the wall but that was just a setting in the bios. Everything worked well together though and it has been working great now for a few weeks!

I would get at least a 1000w psu, My 2990wx is using almost 400w by itself when rendering using PBO.

Hope that helps.

thanks a lot !
I haven't had time to look all in detail yet, but good tip on the PSU.  About the Silver Arrow and the second fan, I m a bit confused as to where you added your second fan.
Cool to see a stable build.
What case did you take ?

2018-11-15, 11:16:59
Reply #4

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice build from James :- ). Wouldn't change anything about it at all !

Double co-sign under the 1000W+ PSUs. It's both good to have PSU running at lower capacity and to have leeway. Additional bonus is the PSU will be more silent as it can run in semi-passive mode.
Hi Juraj,
Do you think Silver Arrow is superior to NOCTUANH U14S TR4‑SP3 ?
Thanks

2018-11-15, 11:22:55
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is link to single benchmark in the big thread, but I have to say that is some low quality benchmarking... doesn't really tell anything.
Looks like it doesn't provide much improvement compared to the Noctua, but I have some doubts as the heatsinks are bigger and it has more heatpipes.

I would personally give preference to the Silver Arrow as well. You can mount additional fan easily using brackets or some home-made magic :- ). The default is so loud because it's 3000RPM fan, while Noctua uses 1500RPM. You can even replace the fans with the same combo that NH-D15 is using, by adding one Noctua Sterrox 120mm fan.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-15, 11:32:13
Reply #6

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-11-15, 11:37:38
Reply #7

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is link to single benchmark in the big thread, but I have to say that is some low quality benchmarking... doesn't really tell anything.
Looks like it doesn't provide much improvement compared to the Noctua, but I have some doubts as the heatsinks are bigger and it has more heatpipes.

I would personally give preference to the Silver Arrow as well. You can mount additional fan easily using brackets or some home-made magic :- ). The default is so loud because it's 3000RPM fan, while Noctua uses 1500RPM. You can even replace the fans with the same combo that NH-D15 is using, by adding one Noctua Sterrox 120mm fan.
I forgot to ask.
If i take the same RAM kit as James for example (or any 64Gb kit), will it be ok to buy the same kit later to upgrade to 128 or will i have to replace all ?
thanks

2018-11-15, 12:00:21
Reply #8

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
The silver arrow comes with 2 additional brackets for fans either side, so you can have 3 fans in total if you want.

I got a 2nd  Thermalright TY 143-140 mm fan, It was a bit of a bodge though as the ram was slightly too high so I had to cut off the bottom of the 2nd fan to get it on. I would try and find some smaller fans if I was to re build it. The flare x is low height ram and I had issues so watch out for those LED rams kits with massive heatsinks as you will have clearance issues with any air cooler you choose.

If you do replace them make sure the fans you put on are equal or better than the spec for the TY 143-140 mm fan. Its 2500rpm 130 CFM so pretty beastly. I went for the silver arrow as its bigger and can handle 320w.

I could only find flare x kits on neweggUS as well, they came super fast though and use Samsung B dies and worked with no issues with the 2933 xmp profile. I'm planning to buy another 64gb at a later date.

I got the Phanteks evolv X case.

2018-11-15, 13:51:06
Reply #9

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
nice infos.
perhaps i can do the same if i take noctua u14s and add an additional NF-A15 PWM fan :)
I think i will do the same as you do with RAM and buy 64 more at a later date to limit brokitude.

again thanks for your help.

« Last Edit: 2018-11-15, 14:40:47 by PsychoBoyJack »