Author Topic: Corona Renderer 6 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 130649 times)

2020-02-29, 20:25:12
Reply #90

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
doing some tests with latest build (20th) and its awesome the difference of speed in some cases but as soon i turn deep of field on with the vignetting value other than 0 it tales at least 5 times more to render a frame (doing some video tests in full HD) and im not sure if this is a normal behavior, i will tray so set back the corona version on my laptop and do some tests will them to see if this affects time also.

Do you mean optical vignetting in camera, not the post-process vignetting in VFB? I did several renderings recently with optical vigneting at 1.0 and didn't notice any slow down.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-03-01, 02:54:14
Reply #91

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, here are the tests, one vignetting on one off, the one that is on will take 3 hours

2020-03-01, 10:16:16
Reply #92

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It would be more helpful if you'd show screenshots with stats tab active.
Did you finished actual renders, or are judging just by reported estimates? Renders with optical vignetting are very dark/noisy for a few first passes, maybe that is throwing estimates off?

2020-03-02, 04:19:47
Reply #93

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry i didnt save but actually yea, ive finished the renders and it took 3:40 hour that how i got to this issue and thats why i had to turn this effect off, let me see if i didnt deleted the backburnner histoy for the job, ill let you guys know as soon i get to the office

2020-03-02, 09:42:25
Reply #94

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If slow down is real, then support team likely would want the scene with reproducible issue. As i said, i never noticed slower rendering due to optical vignetting and i'm using it quite often.

2020-03-02, 10:55:32
Reply #95

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
doing some tests with latest build (20th) and its awesome the difference of speed in some cases but as soon i turn deep of field on with the vignetting value other than 0 it tales at least 5 times more to render a frame (doing some video tests in full HD) and im not sure if this is a normal behavior, i will tray so set back the corona version on my laptop and do some tests will them to see if this affects time also.
Hi,

Please can you send over your scene so we can investigate?

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-03-02, 13:13:20
Reply #96

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It seams that in V6 hair material doesn't work if plugged into layered material. I was under impression that this setup worked previously, or am i wrong?
Hi Romullus,

We have looked into this. The hair material does not work with the layered material, this is intentional, and it didn't work with previous versions of Corona (I double checked with v4 and v5).

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2020-03-02, 13:48:59
Reply #97

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sorry, my mistake then. Can i ask why it's not working in layered material? Is there some technical or other reasons?

2020-03-02, 15:35:46
Reply #98

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Latest daily:
Failed to initialize the denoiser.
Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtBufferCreate" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaDriver().CuDevicePrimaryCtxRetain( &context, dev.get() ) returned (999): Unknown) 

Ideas?
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2020-03-03, 13:07:15
Reply #99

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, my mistake then. Can i ask why it's not working in layered material? Is there some technical or other reasons?
Hi,

So yeah there is a technical reason for this, currently all of the materials are a form of the CoronaMtl with the exception of the HairMtl.
The LayeredMtl only supports the layering of CoronaMtls and their forms, which unfortunately the HairMtl is not so it cannot be used.

This is planned to be fixed at some point, but I don't have any timescale.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2020-03-03, 13:26:10
Reply #100

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Latest daily:
Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtBufferCreate" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaDriver().CuDevicePrimaryCtxRetain( &context, dev.get() ) returned (999): Unknown) 

Ideas?

Hi,

I can only suggest re-installing Corona and the AI denoiser in this situation. What graphics card and driver do you have?

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2020-03-03, 14:22:17
Reply #101

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So yeah there is a technical reason for this, currently all of the materials are a form of the CoronaMtl with the exception of the HairMtl.
The LayeredMtl only supports the layering of CoronaMtls and their forms, which unfortunately the HairMtl is not so it cannot be used.

This is planned to be fixed at some point, but I don't have any timescale.

Thanks for explanation! It's good to know that you're planning to improve this, even though it's not very important to me - my usage of this would be pretty stupid anyways :]

2020-03-08, 16:18:38
Reply #102

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Latest daily:

Ideas?

Hi,

I can only suggest re-installing Corona and the AI denoiser in this situation. What graphics card and driver do you have?

Rowan

Thanks, I did that and for now, it works.
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2020-03-09, 18:04:52
Reply #103

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi devs,

Excited about all the new improvements in these dailies. One area we're keen to find out if there's been any improvement is caustics. Currently you get a drastically different result going from a region render to a full image. It seems to somehow jam all the photons into the region and you get strong hotspots and a crazy result, making testing tricky and unreliable. It also means that doing tricks like "render selected" isn't really feasible, as the result will always be different than a full proper render.

Other caustics-related hings would be if you are any closer to having the ability for caustics not to affect chosen objects/materials (so you can keep them isolated only where you want them e.g. inside certain pool/water objects or a chosen ceiling object etc.

We're soon to publish some really exciting caustics projects but these are a couple of areas we struggled with during production and would make a massive difference :)

Cheers,
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-03-10, 12:11:47
Reply #104

effilang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been experiencing constant crashes when projecting an image from a standard light with rectangular shape, to simulate caustics.
Every time I move the light in the viewport, IR crashed and with it, also Max.

I managed to eventually get the position of the light where I need it, but I had to stop IR each time I wanted to adjust the light and restart it, (particularly for movement.)
I resorted to standard lights for this instead of a a corona light, because the bitmap projection wasn't casting anything in the Frame Buffer using a rectangular corona light, for some strange reason.