Author Topic: Rounded Camera Clipping  (Read 776 times)

2023-05-25, 12:29:34

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there,

It would be very usefull to have a "rounded" camera clipping, or even better, a "freeform / spline-shaped" camera clipping.

In Archviz, we always want some nice camera views, but very often we have to play with Tilt&Shift, clipping and position to find the unique millimeter that let us get the picture we need :
more clipping value : the objects are couted-out; less clipping and the walls/floor/ceiling are photo-bombing into the picture.

I'd love to get some rarc-rounded camera clipping, so i can put my camera behind a corner, bu get the scene fully rendered.

And even better, the carema clipping following a spline, a bit like in architectural cuts that are not always straits, but are following some polylines.

Please see attached pictures.

2023-05-25, 13:34:13
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think Corona Slicer should handle situations like this, isn't?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-05-25, 13:45:43
Reply #2

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think Corona Slicer should handle situations like this, isn't?

Not really, as i don't need the objects to be cuted-out, as light may differ.
Of course i could use a combination between SlicerMtl and Rayswitch to have objects that are participating to th GI, but not visibles. But a feature to manager directly the camera clipping could be very usefull.

Regards

[EDIT] : also, if i have plenty of objects, i have to manage all of them with Slicer / Rayswitch... (for ex. walls, windows, handle, floor, ceiling, baseboard...)

2023-05-25, 13:56:34
Reply #3

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tested it, it could work with only walls, but as you see in the screenshot, the windows are not seen in reflections.

I would have to manage one slicer per object/mtl, with include/exclude lists...

So, really more easy and usefiull a shaped camera cliping.

2023-05-25, 14:01:59
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think you'd need to hassle with all the objects separately, AFAIK slicer cuts through everything, unless you choose to exclude certain objects from it. Rayswitcher setup also shouldn't be big challenge and most certainly easier to work than with likely limited and/or complicated tool in camera settings.  That's just my 2 cents, i'm not trying to convince anybody that Slicer is the only possible solution to the problem.

2023-05-25, 14:29:13
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I had to test it myself and the slicer works just perfectly. No issues with the windows in sliced part. I added few objects to the exclusion list, but only because plants were too close to the wall and it was quicker to exclude them from the slicer than to try to fit slicing geometry. Honestly, i can't see a situation where i would prefer to handle this in camera UI.

2023-05-25, 15:25:08
Reply #6

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think you'd need to hassle with all the objects separately, AFAIK slicer cuts through everything, unless you choose to exclude certain objects from it. Rayswitcher setup also shouldn't be big challenge and most certainly easier to work than with likely limited and/or complicated tool in camera settings.  That's just my 2 cents, i'm not trying to convince anybody that Slicer is the only possible solution to the problem.

Ok, but slicer makes the light going through and no presence in reflexions...

2023-05-25, 15:45:19
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Did you see attachments in my last message? Combining Slicer with RaySwitcher gives you exactly the same result like camera clipping does, just with an option to use arbitrary shape for clipping. Isn't that what's your request about?

2023-05-25, 16:43:23
Reply #8

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I think what romullus proposed here should work great for what you are trying to do. The key lies in that Rayswitch setup. If you plug the slicer into the direct visibility override slot then the slicing will only be happening for what the camera sees - the scene will still treat everything as an enclosed, non-sliced space.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-05-25, 16:53:14
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think there was a discussion at some point about different shapes for the "camera physical size" feature and camera clipping, but there were some technical reasons why it was left as cube/plane.

In our guides we explain how to use the Slicer Mtl in combination with the Rayswitch Mtl to slice through walls without affecting scene lighting at all.
See "7. Corona Slicer Material with "Cap sliced geometry" option enabled, "Override cap material" option disabled, and used with Corona Ray Switcher Material" here:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4956761514897-Corona-Slicer-Material-3ds-Max

I hope this helps!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us