Author Topic: Show focal plane in viewport for Corona camera  (Read 802 times)

2023-01-04, 15:16:44

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I sometimes orient simple plane to the camera and link it to its target, so i would have nice focal plane representation in the viewport. It helps a lot in heavier scenes, or when DOF is not shallow enough to reliably judge position of focal plane from the render. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have such feature natively in Corona camera? It would also help in cases when one wants to use focus override and the plane trick doesn't help anymore.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-06, 11:44:22
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up and sharing a workaround. This is reported now.

(Internal ID=1032060994)
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-01-06, 13:04:21
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I sometimes orient simple plane to the camera and link it to its target, so i would have nice focal plane representation in the viewport. It helps a lot in heavier scenes, or when DOF is not shallow enough to reliably judge position of focal plane from the render. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have such feature natively in Corona camera? It would also help in cases when one wants to use focus override and the plane trick doesn't help anymore.
I remember this was a technical limitation, it's not possible to view any camera planes while looking through that camera. If you press 'p' to switch to perspective mode, the plane will become visible, set distance and press 'c' to switch to the camera's view again. Less clicks.
Not sure if this works for focus overrides.

2023-01-06, 15:42:43
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just one note, not sure if it helps in this case, but: you can right-click in docked IR (in the VFB you need to click the "pick" button first) and then pick the focus point directly in the rendered image.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us