Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

I need some workflow help with wood grain and end grain

(1/2) > >>

John.McWaters:
I typically use a lot of wood materials in my renderings, and I like to project end-grain textures where the end grain would be exposed. I will also tend to keep models of several pieces in one editable poly that all run the same direction, for instance, all boards that run vertically will be in one editable poly.

My challenge is, however, that I need to find a way to map an end-grain texture to be on-center with each face. I will project textures onto the pieces using the Triplanar component, which is great because I can feed it the end grain textures in the Z input, and it will project them onto the correct faces, but the texture will not be centered on the faces (some faces, you'll see a seam). I'm wondering if there is a way to do this besides a UVW Unwrap.

I've included a screenshot and file that illustrates my problem.

James Vella:
Can you just use UVW map instead and select Face?

Also crop the image for the section of the center of the wood end so you dont get overlaps

John.McWaters:

--- Quote from: James Vella on 2023-12-01, 18:52:43 ---Can you just use UVW map instead and select Face?

Also crop the image for the section of the center of the wood end so you dont get overlaps

--- End quote ---
Face is great in that it will center the texture on the faces, but it also warps them to fit the face. I wish Face would work with real world map sizing

James Vella:
Depends how you work but usually I would do this at the end, just do a poly select all those end faces and then just uvw map (box mode), scale or use realworld with tileable wood-end and done. Its all very specific I suppose but its an option.

John.McWaters:

--- Quote from: James Vella on 2023-12-01, 22:12:57 ---Depends how you work but usually I would do this at the end, just do a poly select all those end faces and then just uvw map (box mode), scale or use realworld with tileable wood-end and done. Its all very specific I suppose but its an option.

--- End quote ---

I think I need to rework my practice in that my pieces of wood need to be individual poly's with their pivot at the center. This should cause TriPlanar to automatically alight the center of each object and therefore project the end grain texture right where I need it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version