Author Topic: True Sunsets  (Read 5001 times)

2018-08-29, 21:25:32

Br0nto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to suggest some mechanic for true sunsets. As per this thread I'm under the impression that the current simulation does not support the sun being below the horizon. But as a result, there's no ability to make a true sunset. The Corona sky remains lit and the sun is still visible, whereas it would be ideal if there were some way to have the sun dip below the horizon and the Corona sky fade to black. Maybe an extra 5 degrees of angle below the horizon?

Or, alternatively, allow regular lights to affect the Corona sky shader/setup so that you could fake a sun that can go wherever it wants.

2018-08-30, 12:48:21
Reply #1

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hi! This would be a Corona Core request... I'll move this to the correct section

2018-08-30, 15:47:01
Reply #2

Br0nto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks!

2018-08-31, 01:48:36
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-08-31, 11:04:00
Reply #4

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
+1 on this. We've been working up some images lately where absolute second-to-second sun timing is critical to the view working. We've noticed that the sun just doesn't behave how you'd expect at extreme low-to-horizon altitudes, and this is probably the reason why.

In addition, I think there is an issue with CoronaSun being severely under-powered when very low on the horizon. I can't post any examples due to NDA but it's fairly easy to test this - just load up a city model and corona daylight system in there, and get the sun only just barely poking up above the horizon. You'll find that it's very very low-strength until really quite high. In order to get anything strong enough you end up needing to boost the multi to 2 or more.

Think this model could do with a look. And the age-old request for a 24-hour daylight system still remains... Imagine if we could have a proper, realistic 24-hour corona lighting system that reacts realistically at all times of day including super early/late plus proper transition to blue hour, night, moon light controls........
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2018-08-31, 16:34:18
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 on this. We've been working up some images lately where absolute second-to-second sun timing is critical to the view working. We've noticed that the sun just doesn't behave how you'd expect at extreme low-to-horizon altitudes, and this is probably the reason why.

In addition, I think there is an issue with CoronaSun being severely under-powered when very low on the horizon. I can't post any examples due to NDA but it's fairly easy to test this - just load up a city model and corona daylight system in there, and get the sun only just barely poking up above the horizon. You'll find that it's very very low-strength until really quite high. In order to get anything strong enough you end up needing to boost the multi to 2 or more.

Think this model could do with a look. And the age-old request for a 24-hour daylight system still remains... Imagine if we could have a proper, realistic 24-hour corona lighting system that reacts realistically at all times of day including super early/late plus proper transition to blue hour, night, moon light controls........

Moonlight controls would be an absolute dream. +1 for 24hr daylight system.

2018-08-31, 16:57:41
Reply #6

Br0nto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hadn't raised my ambitions to a full 24-hour daylight system, but that would be fantastic. Especially having moon and star controls.

2022-01-14, 20:30:14
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
done
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)