General Category > Off-Topic

What cg-related blogs / websites do you read?

(1/3) > >>

mase:
As many 3d artists will probably agree, there are times at work where you're simply left waiting for a heavy scene to load or some large files to transfer and have nothing really important to do in-between. The obvious choices become to doom scroll through social media or read some news and stuff.

But I've always had an ambition to dedicate my work day for work. So if I'm waiting for something else to happen, I want to use this time to learn some more about what's happening in the world of CGI. So let's use this thread to share interesting blogs / websites / podcasts (maybe?) that unite us all in one way or another and that is CGI and everything related to it.

I will start. Recently this was posted on this same forum and I found a few stories that were quite interesting: https://composite.substack.com/ . Obviously, Behance is like a second Instagram for artists but one can only absorb so much visual material throughout the day until it all becomes dull and overstimulating.

James Vella:
Its good to see you like to keep yourself motivated. I think its great that you want to spend your time doing something constructive.

From my perspective I render a lot during the day too, during those 10-15 minute renders ill usually spend my time on productivity. Ali Abdaal goes into this a bit on his videos for example, but to break it down I like the fact he mentions about one of his favorite authors who has a busy life, family, kids etc. - writes his books between random moments in the day. This can be a 7-10minute block of time but he manages to write an entire book just by taking advantage of those moments.

For me I like to write scripts that reduce my time clicking buttons (for repetitive work tasks), writing on my blog (even though people probably don't read it, it gives me time to reflect on things I've learned, learn how to write better, learn how to teach better etc.). I like to make videos or just write the scripts for my videos (goes back to writing, how to explain something difficult in a simple way). In the end there's many ways to be creative and create content without needing to consume constantly - which is what I think you are aiming for. So if you want to dedicate your time to work - I suggest creating content in some way or another. Sure there is plenty of information out there but your personal experience can really build something that's useful for others. Legacy is one of those things as you get older, is useful to others who take the time to better themselves, and its best to learn from other peoples mistakes than your own. Cliché as it sounds some people do actually heed that advice. 

mase:

--- Quote from: James Vella on 2023-09-08, 21:15:23 ---Cliché as it sounds some people do actually heed that advice. 

--- End quote ---

I think I am one of those people actually.

Some great points and advice here, thanks for sharing your honest opinion on this subject. I do also believe that more often than not we tend to find excuses to not do certain things when in reality there's so much time that we choose to waste or spend otherwise. And although I remember reading somewhere that 'the time one enjoys wasting is not considered a wasted time', I fully agree that it all comes down to personal motivation and discipline when choosing between doing something productive or taking time off.

There's always a moment of balance, as with everything else in life, which becomes very important when working with creative tasks and pushing yourself to always be productive can have a countereffect. On the other hand, this so-called productivity can have different means to achieve it and all it takes is to find personal relation to it, so to make it relevant and exciting.

Oh, and great reference to Ali Abdaal video. I guess the hardest part for me personally is trying to break down those big tasks I've been meaning to do for a while into smaller segments that actually can be done in those short moments of time you get throughout the day. And also keep them intellectually exciting so they don't feel like a burden every time you sit down to do one.

James Vella:

--- Quote from: mase on 2023-09-12, 13:00:10 ---And although I remember reading somewhere that 'the time one enjoys wasting is not considered a wasted time', I fully agree that it all comes down to personal motivation and discipline when choosing between doing something productive or taking time off.

There's always a moment of balance, as with everything else in life, which becomes very important when working with creative tasks and pushing yourself to always be productive can have a countereffect. On the other hand, this so-called productivity can have different means to achieve it and all it takes is to find personal relation to it, so to make it relevant and exciting.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree. I also schedule in daily exercise, walks outside, time with friends/loved ones to keep that sense of balance. Also I like to 'waste time' by playing a video game or watching a tv series if I've done an honest day's work. I probably do that less these days but I don't feel bad about those wasted times as you mentioned since I feel like my productivity is higher than it used to be and I also need to switch off from work mode. I also like to write down those small achievements and compare them to previous months/years to see if I'm just telling myself tall stories or actually moving the bar in the direction of my goals.

--- Quote from: mase on 2023-09-12, 13:00:10 ---I guess the hardest part for me personally is trying to break down those big tasks I've been meaning to do for a while into smaller segments that actually can be done in those short moments of time you get throughout the day. And also keep them intellectually exciting so they don't feel like a burden every time you sit down to do one.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that's the trick I suppose. Often I like to give myself an in/out point. So I'll try something for 3 months, if I like it I will spend time on breaking down those tasks since I see the long term benefits of that thing. If after 3 months I dont enjoy it then I'll bench it for another one of my interests. Ive done this a few times with coding for example. I never really wanted to write scripts but I always found I needed to use it to do some other work faster, and those long breaks in between were actually more of a benefit than I thought since it gave my mind a rest dealing with difficult problems and when I came back, seemed a lot more simple than I initially thought. Also I think as a side benefit of pursuing your interests is that you learn things or meet people you never would have if you just sat there scrolling or doing what you might usually do on autopilot (not you per se, just speaking generally). So that's pretty cool I think, and who knows what will come from those relationships or pursuits.

Oh and I think when you have for example 3 large tasks you are interested in, if they are broken down into small bits its easy to switch between them on days you don't feel like doing that thing. Sometimes I'm in the mood to just write, so ill write for a week. Then I look at my to-dos and think oh you know what this week I'm just going to make a whole bunch of 3D models, or learn this thing which is a bit fuzzy in my memory. Its great to have a huge selection of things you can work on little by little. As they say the days are long but the years are short (or something like that), so make the most of it.

mase:

--- Quote from: James Vella on 2023-09-12, 13:56:29 ---Oh and I think when you have for example 3 large tasks you are interested in, if they are broken down into small bits its easy to switch between them on days you don't feel like doing that thing. Sometimes I'm in the mood to just write, so ill write for a week. Then I look at my to-dos and think oh you know what this week I'm just going to make a whole bunch of 3D models, or learn this thing which is a bit fuzzy in my memory. Its great to have a huge selection of things you can work on little by little. As they say the days are long but the years are short (or something like that), so make the most of it.

--- End quote ---

I can definitely relate to doing multiple tasks at once (not literally at the same time but in parallel). It helps as you say to allow yourself different type of work for a specific day, however I noticed that it can often lead to unfinished projects. Perhaps I should try writing down the goals and expectations of how long I think it will take and so on. Having everything simply on your mind is not enough I guess.

The biggest tasks I find myself involved in are usually related to organizing and re-organizing certain parts of 2d/3d library and everytime I figure out a way to do it and finally do it, I realise a better way and it gets really frustrating (I wonder if anyone else can relate to this). But I guess that's part of the process - you discover things as you do and there really is no other way around it.

And thanks again for sharing what works for you. Maybe that was not the original idea behind creating this post but I believe there's something more valuable coming out of it than simply a list of websites to further feed our need to consume. After all, the post was made in off-topic section so I guess we're right on track :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version