Author Topic: Freeze using distributed rendering  (Read 7080 times)

2020-11-10, 10:40:14

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have problem with DR with scene(file more then 10GB).After starting corona saves the file and that's all, nothing happens.
I don`t have problem with this scene if i use render without DR.

DR works without problems with files less ~4 GB.

I don`t know how create debug files because 3ds freeze

3ds 2020
Corona Renderer 6
i9 and i7,ssd,32 GB,1Gb network

Thanks!

2020-11-10, 19:14:56
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That's very weird, I don't think we've ever had a similar report. Would it be possible for you to optimize the scene somehow to make the file smaller? For example, you could turn some heavy objects into Corona Proxies, so they would be loaded and transferred as separate assets. I am not sure if this is even related, but a 10 GB Max scene sounds like an overkill (but maybe it is not?).

Even if 3ds Max is frozen, you should be able to get a minidump, please see "Point 2 - if the error window is not available" - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
You can also try collecting DR logs and sharing them with me, here is how to get them - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000002065-gathering-dr-logs
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-11-11, 09:29:18
Reply #2

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Maru,

I have uploaded dmp via Private Uploader
1605082339_3dsmax.7z

All these files are empty
DrLog.txt
CoronaMax2020_log.txt
backburnerServer.log and backburner.log

Thank you for your help!

2020-11-11, 18:21:40
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just to make sure I understand this right: the freeze happens on the master machine? You start rendering, it saves the file, and then Max freezes?
The minidump is captured on the master machine during the freeze?

In the log, the Windows user name is C:\Users\####\ because you censored it, or is it really the name? I think it could be causing problems.

2020-11-11, 18:47:09
Reply #4

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to make sure I understand this right: the freeze happens on the master machine? You start rendering, it saves the file, and then Max freezes?
The minidump is captured on the master machine during the freeze?
Exactly

In the log, the Windows user name is C:\Users\####\ because you censored it, or is it really the name? I think it could be causing problems.
It was first what I checked. I created new user with normal name. It did not help

2020-11-12, 12:08:27
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The issue is reported and waiting for the investigation from our dev/QA teams.
(Internal ID=593830808)

I have some more questions:

- What exact Windows version are you using on the master and on the node?
- Do you have all Windows Updates installed on the master and on the node?
- Are there any 3rd party plugins your problematic scene? (e.g. Forest Pack, Siger, Multiscatter, any other?)
- Do you have any DR problems when rendering other scenes? (e.g. a lighter scene, or a simple 1 teapot + 1 light scene)

2020-11-12, 13:28:38
Reply #6

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- What exact Windows version are you using on the master and on the node?
Windows 10 x64
- Do you have all Windows Updates installed on the master and on the node?
Yes
- Are there any 3rd party plugins your problematic scene? (e.g. Forest Pack, Siger, Multiscatter, any other?)
No. I use only corona renderer
- Do you have any DR problems when rendering other scenes? (e.g. a lighter scene, or a simple 1 teapot + 1 light scene)
I don`t have problem with small scenes before 4 Gb. DR working correctly.
Problem only with big and large scenes 7-10 and more GB....

2020-11-16, 13:37:40
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello, could you send us any of the problematic scene? We would need it archived with all assets and uploaded either through our private uploader (https://corona-renderer.com/upload) or through any method of your choice (e.g. Dropbox or Wetransfer). After the upload, please let me know what's the file name. If the scene is confidential, please do not post the download link here, but send it to me through a private message or email. Thanks in advance!

2020-11-24, 11:35:03
Reply #8

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello maru,

I have upload test.max scene on dropbox
Unfortunately I can`t provide my scene, but I created test scene. It`s a simple scene with many elements.
Of course this scene may be optimized, but my scene can`t be or it will take a lot of time.

2020-11-24, 16:39:56
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thank you. I will download the scene and will see if I am able to reproduce the issue.

2020-11-25, 13:49:17
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello, what is your RAM usage when opening and when rendering this scene? For me, ust opening it took almost 32 GB of my RAM (and you mentioned that you have 32 GB as well). If you are running out of RAM, you should also see the Corona's "System is running low on RAM" error message.
If that's the case, DR and many other things may stop working and that would be expected. The solution in such case would be either optimizing the scene to use less RAM, or installing more RAM in your PC.
Here are some tips on optimizing RAM usage - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000023310

2020-11-27, 11:02:15
Reply #11

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks! I will try to check it.
It is very strange because I have the same warning and error(61GB RAM needed) for 3 GB scene but DR works. But for 5 GB scene(61 GB Ram needed)but DR dose not work.

2021-01-29, 14:01:28
Reply #12

AndreV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, what is your RAM usage when opening and when rendering this scene? For me, ust opening it took almost 32 GB of my RAM (and you mentioned that you have 32 GB as well). If you are running out of RAM, you should also see the Corona's "System is running low on RAM" error message.
If that's the case, DR and many other things may stop working and that would be expected. The solution in such case would be either optimizing the scene to use less RAM, or installing more RAM in your PC.
Here are some tips on optimizing RAM usage - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000023310

Hello maru,

I have updated PC`s so now I have two PC with 80 Gb. I checked DR with 11GB file and rendering still freeze(no errors in corona log).

2021-02-01, 14:59:52
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello, I have just created a support ticket 196509. You should get a message to your forum email address with more details. Let's continue there, as it will be much more convenient for both of us.
Let me know here or by email if you can't see the message or if you have any other questions.

2021-12-02, 13:48:11
Reply #14

jvo3dc

• Users
    • View Profile
We have the same thing here with Corona 6 hotfix 2 and max 2019. It does seem to be fully related to the size of the max file, since enabling or disabling compress on save can make all the difference.

- The freeze is consistent, it always happens if the max file size is too big and distributed is used.
- There is no freeze with the same file rendering without distributed.
- A partial workaround is to enable compression on saved file.
- 3 GB works and 6 GB does not, which makes me feel that a 32 bit int is used to transfer the file size, limiting it to exactly 4 GB.

2021-12-02, 13:51:49
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In the previous cases this was caused by running out of RAM and either optimizing the scene or installing more RAM resolved it.
Can you please make sure that RAM is not exceeded at any point of the rendering on both the render nodes and the master?
Please note that "exceeded" does not mean over 100% RAM usage, but rather something around 80-90% should be alarming because of the reasons listed here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17892.0

2022-04-04, 14:09:20
Reply #16

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

The issue of not being able to render scenes over 4GB in size with DR is fixed in v8 RC3.

You can get it here:https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33839.msg196846#msg196846

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!