Author Topic: Omnitiles  (Read 4642 times)

2016-02-01, 12:56:40

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,
was wondering whether I am the only one having big issues with Omnitiles.
Basically, at the moment nothing works as it should.
From the missing pattern preview on the viewport to the ridiculous lagginess. The support has been poor too.
I have just bought it....but I'm afraid I should have checked twice before it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot.

F

2016-02-01, 13:28:52
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, which version of Corona are you using?
Is it working better with other supported renderers?
We will contact their support.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-01, 13:54:43
Reply #2

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
we are using the latest official version.
I have to say I think the only issue with Corona we have is the displacement that doesn't work at all. All the others issues don't seem Corona related.....they are affecting 3d max in general.....
Getting a bit frustrated.....

Thanks a lot

F

2016-02-01, 21:14:58
Reply #3

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I have Omnitiles also, but haven't given it a spin yet. I'll try it out this week and see if I have issues. AFAIK, there were issue with displacement and bump in the Walls & Tiles plugin also.

2016-02-02, 12:26:32
Reply #4

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is what I received from the support (they managed to be more responsive at last), first you can read our questions, and then their answers.

1_ I have just followed the instructions provided by one of your tutorials testing a simple brick materials on a simple plane lighted by 1 corona light: As soon I start  rendering with corona 3ds max freeze and does not work anymore, seems that displacement (0,5 cm) Is causing the problem. I managed to do a rendering without but of course we need displacement to work properly.

1. This sounds like it is Corona specific. Or it just takes very long period as the displacement structure might be quiet complicated. We've never seen problems with displacement maps for example with VRay 3 or scanline. We will have to investigate that on our end I am afraid. Which Corona version are you using?

2_According your tutorial ( I noticed max 2012 has been used)I should be able to preview in my viewport: gradient maps of any loaded pattern, bitmaps with material Id of different patterns and I should be able to preview randomized JPG of patterns (bricks in my case). Nothing of this is actually happening using the current 3dsmax slate material editor. 
I have tried to use compact material editor and in this case I am able to preview maps; however maps are not shown in the correct scale and I can’t see the variation of the pattern when JPG are loaded.
This is very weird also because when I do a rendering test (no displacement) maps appear to be rendered just fine. Basically my viewport is showing something has nothing to do with what is rendered.

2.Well Corona's viewport rendering support AFAIK is known to be very limited supported. If you use Corona materials. Omnitiles map itself does not yet have the viewport flag supported. So I don't think you can set the viewport shading on it. It wouldn't be hard to support on the map itself but it would require to switch your viewport texture size setting down to a reasonable map size, otherwise updates will take long. As 3dsmax offline renders a bitmap that have no native Direct3D shader to use that as a texture for the shaded viewport. I have to confess I am puzzled  why slate is behaving differently to traditional material editor (Personally I usually use the classic editor most of the time) but that might be because the viewport shade support in Omnitiles itself is not implemented yet and relies on the parent map/material which might not work correctly with Slate. Is that something you only see in combination with Corona parent materials or even 3ds max standard materials?

3_Generally the speed the plugin is working at is very slow,  but that might depend from our network??; However when I try to delete or to load a map, VP Omnitiles modifier does not update or it is very slow at doing that.( slate material editor)

3. This could maybe be because you have a large number of rows and columns in your tiling or a pattern that contains many shapes?

2016-02-02, 15:55:32
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I just checked the demo version of the plugin and already experienced few crashes, 3ds Max gets unresponsive when using it (for example if I close vfb), and I can confirm that the viewport previews do not reflect what is rendered. I had the same problems with Corona, Vray and Scanline, so it looks like there isn't much of Corona's fault here, but if there is - we are definitely willing to fix it, as generally the plugin looks promising. I have already contacted their support so let's see how this develops...

« Last Edit: 2016-02-04, 17:57:19 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-02, 17:50:05
Reply #6

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot Maru,
I agree with you. Although they say the plugin is compatible with Corona.....the software doesn't work properly.
This is why we have decided to cancel the purchase and we will wait till the two software will be fully compatible!
Cannot see myself going back to Vray at the moment! :)

thanks a lot