Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524688 times)

2019-03-25, 18:14:28
Reply #645

Sulsa

• Users
    • View Profile
Could you consider the option of to add the aerial perspective feature same to V-Ray.

This will be a great and very usefull function for create enviroments and exterior scenes

Aerial perspective and complete support for Phoenix FD could be amazing improvement for Corona Render

2019-03-25, 21:09:28
Reply #646

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could you consider the option of to add the aerial perspective feature same to V-Ray.

This will be a great and very usefull function for create enviroments and exterior scenes

Aerial perspective and complete support for Phoenix FD could be amazing improvement for Corona Render

You can use the global volume material slot to achieve this but you will still get volumetric shadows unlike vray aerial perspective.

« Last Edit: 2019-04-01, 10:59:13 by jpjapers »

2019-03-25, 22:32:21
Reply #647

Sulsa

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks friend I know the corona volume mtl but I like the new aerial perspective of V-Ray because the effect calculate automatically  based on height and distance value, so for me this is much more real than the manual config values that I could to do with volume material, so the volume mtl is alredy great for the use on volumetric effects and other things ;)

2019-05-07, 11:09:17
Reply #648

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Removing caustics from the list. Might also remove memory optimizations after this or next wave of memory savings
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-05-27, 12:33:40
Reply #649

Pydracor

• Users
    • View Profile
the following suggestions are for the Corona for C4D -version (I don't know the Corona renderer for other applications)

I don't know if someone mentioned these before, but I'd like to see:

- flow maps

- node material editor:
    - grouping multiple nodes (like in unreal engine 4 fro example)
    - points to manipulate the way of the wires (for better organization)

- vector displacement

2019-06-20, 14:06:29
Reply #650

Rogz

• Users
    • View Profile
a automatic "section" tool as seen in vrayforc4d would be nice. its very useful in architectural renderings. thx!

2019-06-20, 17:17:56
Reply #651

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As hybrid rendering takes the lead will it ever be considered given the developer's principle of Corona being a CPU only renderer? I suppose it is the most challenging "feature"? If so, would it work like v-ray in the sense that we have to first select GPU renderer and then select CPU to help the GPU or would it work the other way around?

2019-06-23, 04:38:13
Reply #652

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Love to see a wood shader one day!

2019-07-14, 22:45:10
Reply #653

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It doesn't make much sense. A renderer renders. Maybe you meant a wood procedural noise? There is some that can be implemented, but otherwise you will have to use texture softwares or libraries for that.

I agree a corona noise would be useful. Especially for conversions from fstorm etc.

2019-07-15, 14:26:42
Reply #654

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It doesn't make much sense. A renderer renders. Maybe you meant a wood procedural noise? There is some that can be implemented, but otherwise you will have to use texture softwares or libraries for that.

I believe he ment a custom BSDF shader. I remember seeing a discussion on that sopic somewhere but don't recall where exactly.

2019-07-16, 11:04:49
Reply #655

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, there are 3 approaches to "Wood shader", it's not nonsense.

1). Procedural noise that resembles wood but otherwise does nothing special shading wise. You can get this for example in OSL in Max 2019+. Not interesting at all.
2). Procedural noise that resembles wood but actually creates multidirectional anisotrophy based on the produced wood grain. Someone told me this existed in Mental Ray as 3rd party addition ?

3). This would be dream and I don't know how exactly it would work (it would require modification or new BRDF). Shader that could produce multidirectional anisotrophy from any bitmap, so that we don't have to use stupid looking procedural generated wood (I have never...never fucking ever, seen even slightly good looking procedural wood, it's all shit).

Even fabrics have multidirectional anisotrophy that can't be produced right now, but that's much simpler two-directional (opposite directions usually, like Silk fabric), but wood have super unique anisotrophy that no other material have. Why do you think all the wood shaders look like crap if it's natural wood :- ) ? We can only render glossy wood with coating/varnish/etc.. but good luck rendering natural rough planks like Dinesen Fir to actually look like Dinesen Fir. No way, at all.

You can try to simulate the effect with combination of micro displacement and SSS (Wood has pretty noticeable SSS) but it's not exactly it.
(Similarly, you can produce bidirectional anisotrophy of Silk fabric by using F-Storm GeoPattern instead of texture surface)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-07-16, 15:48:29
Reply #656

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You can try to simulate the effect with combination of micro displacement and SSS (Wood has pretty noticeable SSS) but it's not exactly it.
(Similarly, you can produce bidirectional anisotrophy of Silk fabric by using F-Storm GeoPattern instead of texture surface)

The geopattern fabrics s**t all over every other renderers approach to microdetail in my opinion. Theres absolutely nothing else that works as welland i really with we had it in corona or at least a third party plugin for max that achieved the same thing.

2019-07-16, 16:42:32
Reply #657

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for microdetail, with bump, or anything. But to me that would be at the top of the list.

2019-07-16, 22:49:32
Reply #658

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for microdetail, with bump, or anything. But to me that would be at the top of the list.

This x100000

I've been spoiled by how well FStorm handles bump mapping, and bitmap filtering/sharpness in general. Perfect example is how you can create an anisotropic metal just by using bump maps (and it doesn't break at different resolutions/zoom levels).

Even with 8K wood floor bitmaps for example, for some reason Corona just can't get as sharp without the material turning to a blur at a slight distance, while FStorm retains full detail. I've done a 1:1 comparison and the difference is night and day.
Vray who?

2019-07-17, 14:48:07
Reply #659

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here are relevant papers:

Procedural wood textures (2015) by Albert J. Liu, Stephen R. Marschner, Victoria E. Dye

Existing bidirectional reflectance distribution function (BRDF) models are capable of capturing the distinctive highlights produced by the fibrous nature of wood. However, capturing parameter textures for even a single specimen remains a laborious process requiring specialized equipment. In this paper we take a procedural approach to generating parameters for the wood BSDF. We characterize the elements of trees that are important for the appearance of wood, discuss techniques appropriate for representing those features, and present a complete procedural wood shader capable of reproducing the growth patterns responsible for the distinctive appearance of highly prized ``figured'' wood. Our procedural wood shader is random-access, 3D, modular, and is fast enough to generate a preview for design.

Source: arXiv:1511.04224v2 [cs.GR]

Simulating the structure and texture of solid wood (2016) by Albert Julius Liu, Zhao Dong, Miloš Hašan, Steve Marschner

Wood is an important decorative material prized for its unique appearance. It is commonly rendered using artistically authored 2D color and bump textures, which reproduces color patterns on flat surfaces well. But the dramatic anisotropic specular figure caused by wood fibers, common in curly maple and other species, is harder to achieve. While suitable BRDF models exist, the texture parameter maps for these wood BRDFs are difficult to author---good results have been shown with elaborate measurements for small flat samples, but these models are not much used in practice. Furthermore, mapping 2D image textures onto 3D objects leads to distortion and inconsistencies. Procedural volumetric textures solve these geometric problems, but existing methods produce much lower quality than image textures. This paper aims to bring the best of all these techniques together: we present a comprehensive volumetric simulation of wood appearance, including growth rings, color variation, pores, rays, and growth distortions. The fiber directions required for anisotropic specular figure follow naturally from the distortions. Our results rival the quality of textures based on photographs, but with the consistency and convenience of a volumetric model. Our model is modular, with components that are intuitive to control, fast to compute, and require minimal storage.

Source: 10.1145/2980179.2980255

Video:

Final thought
Yes, microsurface details, scratches, glints, distorted/directed anisotropy, spectrality ;) ... all this will sooner or later become inadmissible in archvis, product vis, advertising in general. It's the road to full CGI realism. For example, check the details on the latest Toy Story 4 :)

The finer the displays get (bigger, more precise), the greater the need for details.

&
BTW, anyone knows on what studies/papers is Corona's hair based on? Marschner's?