Author Topic: Material reflections & max sample intesity  (Read 1810 times)

2023-09-22, 00:12:12
Reply #15

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Can this UHD funkiness be improved?

Hi,
did you tried 4k cache as well? In most of the cases it works really well and gives better results than UHD cache.

2023-09-22, 08:41:44
Reply #16

cgrobo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
4k cache removes this problem. I was under the impression that 4k cache should be used for animations. But reading about it now, it seems like it has replaced UHD cache. Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-22, 17:37:07 by cgrobo »

2023-09-22, 09:27:29
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The entire point of the UHD Cache is that it greatly speeds up rendering at the cost of some bias. Usually, a bit of splotchiness is unnoticeable, unless you render a sequence, but that's why we have the "animation" preset and other UHD options: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528617365649

It is possible that the 4K Cache is better in terms of those tiny splotches, but please keep in mind that it's still experimental and may sometimes produce unwanted results (we would really appreciate reports :) ).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-09-22, 17:19:09
Reply #18

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm happy Maru was able to identify this, I always assumed GI caches wouldn't have any effect on reflections but it totally makes sense. Good to know for the future.

2023-09-22, 18:24:53
Reply #19

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It is possible that the 4K Cache is better in terms of those tiny splotches, but please keep in mind that it's still experimental and may sometimes produce unwanted results (we would really appreciate reports :) ).

Hi Maru,
I have been using the 4k cache by default since its release. From my experience, it not only provides more stable GI without any splotches but also results in faster pre-calculation and more rays per second during rendering. It works really well, and in my case, I encountered an issue only once while rendering an animation, where about 3 frames out of a 1500-frame sequence were "broken." I simply re-rendered them, and it turned out fine.

However, it's interesting to note that texture baking is not an option with the 4k cache; it produces a lot of splotches everywhere, especially if the model has explicit normals.

Sorry for going off-topic. I hope that the 4k cache will go final sometime.
If you need some scenes with texture baking where I had really visible problems with 4k cache, then I can provide them to you next week.

Best regards