Author Topic: Interactive rendering resolution multiplier  (Read 16423 times)

2014-11-05, 11:29:34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Right now if IR is launched in VFB mode, it takes resolution from main settings. That's not always desirable. It'd be more convenient to have interactive preview at lower res than main render. I'd propose to make flyout next to Start interactive button, that let you choose interactive render resolution multiplier.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-11-05, 12:01:26
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A separate size option would be great. My suggestion would be to keep it completely independent from the main render size and maybe only inherit the image aspect ratio. So we'd have to set the desired image width for IR and that's it.

What I don't like about the 1/nth of main image size is that it's still tied to a size in another place, and that 1/2 or 1/3 might be too big or too small for your taste, forcing you to change the main render size if you want something else.

2014-11-05, 12:22:43
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
IMHO, interactive is just a intermediate tool for previewing/working with scene, so exact resolution shoudn't be much of concern, while controls for independent resolution setting could take too much place and make confusion to less experienced users.

2014-11-05, 12:31:44
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think the entire idea of having interactive as floating window is quite outdated. Running interactive at any higher resolution will always kill interactivity. Main and suggested way of running it should be always in a viewport. Like another viewport, that displays content in rendered, not just shaded mode.

2014-11-05, 12:38:42
Reply #4

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Wouldn't say so. Having interactive in a separate window is just like an additional "floating" viewport, no more no less. No one says you need to have it running in 1080p ;) I always run it in a separate window because I feel more comfortable being able to use any viewport configuration ( 1 big, 2 side by side, 4 etc) without having to sacrifice one of them to be "dead" for a rendering purposes.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-11-05, 12:45:58
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Interactive in viewport has few serious drawbacks:
  1. it don't respect aspect ratio and safe frames
  2. it has fixed position
  3. in order to adjust exposue and tone mapping it is necessary to launch additional render setting window
  4. it doesn't provide right click funcionality of render in VFB

I think the entire idea of having interactive as floating window is quite outdated. Running interactive at any higher resolution will always kill interactivity. Main and suggested way of running it should be always in a viewport. Like another viewport, that displays content in rendered, not just shaded mode.
That's the point of my request :]

2014-11-05, 12:58:35
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
What i suggested to Ondra is that interactive in floating VFB should have resolution driven by the size of the VFB, so it will be as large as the size of the VFB window. Same behavior like with interactive in viewport. This size will be independent of main, production rendering, and then size of interactive VFB will be remember once you close it, so next time you run interactive in window, it will launch in the remembered size.

Of course aspect ratio should crop the image, in both viewport and floating one. So it should definitely support safe frame.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-05, 13:13:42 by Rawalanche »

2014-11-05, 13:09:52
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That maybe even better solution.

2014-11-05, 13:45:39
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
the real problem here is that 3dsmax STILL does not have floating viewports - that would just straight up solve everything.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-11-06, 16:39:29
Reply #9

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As of viewport vs floating VFB, what I like is that you can specify the VFB size, the viewport size depends on what you monitor resolution is, and that you can control how fast it's going to be that way. Now if you have a 4K display you'll curse a lot because one viewport will be way too big to be responsive. For me, moving the floating VFB to my second display is something I wouldn't like to miss...

Floating viewports - yes that's something to look forward to. Also, drawing wireframes and gizmos on top of active shade content would be really cool to have. Well, let's hope they'll cook something up one day.

2014-11-06, 16:50:24
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I've implemented changing resolution based on VFB window size
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-11-11, 01:34:29
Reply #11

duke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the real problem here is that 3dsmax STILL does not have floating viewports - that would just straight up solve everything.
As far as I know you can let Vray RT work in a separate window so I guess it shouldn't be hard to do?

2014-11-11, 09:35:30
Reply #12

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As far as I know you can let Vray RT work in a separate window so I guess it shouldn't be hard to do?

Corona has this as well. Floating viewport means you would be able to work/orbit/pan in a floating window, that's something different and not possible in max yet.

2014-11-11, 10:06:22
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

C'mon Autodesk, how hard it could be to implement that? :S

2014-11-11, 14:13:44
Reply #14

duke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Floating viewports is under review in Uservoice - http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-general-feature-requests/suggestions/1490189-viewport-tear-off Let's hope it makes it in the new 2016 release of Max (fingers crossed!!!).