Author Topic: Problem creating curbs and sidewalks  (Read 405 times)

2024-02-27, 12:29:13

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, I despair of my exterior renderings where large areas are a street, curbs and sidewalks!

I have several issues to resolve or questions to ask:

1. When I model a sidewalk and curbs, I place them along a spline, I always have problems making a depression, or I don't know exactly which workflow is best, maybe an FFD modifier? See example picture below.

2. I ve seen many Renderings where the curbs looking damaged, and the texture looks very different on every single curb, also joints in the example picture also look very realistic, how do you do something like that? maybe in another program?

3. I tried to use assets from megascans, but yeah of course if you place 10 similar curbs in the scene it looks to identical.. how are you handling this? Is there a way to make them look different?

4. I ve also seen so called “modular curbs“ assets on megascans.. are they better or special in any way? Or is there a way to edit this 3d models? I mean when you place them along a spline with curves etc.. they are sometimes looking very strange.. is there any workflow for megascan assets do change?

Thanks in advance, br

2024-02-27, 15:53:30
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
1. When I model a sidewalk and curbs, I place them along a spline, I always have problems making a depression, or I don't know exactly which workflow is best, maybe an FFD modifier? See example picture below.

I think Itoo railclone is hands down one of the the best tool for such tasks. FFD modifier also could work if you don't mind texture stretching.

I ve seen many Renderings where the curbs looking damaged, and the texture looks very different on every single curb, also joints in the example picture also look very realistic, how do you do something like that? maybe in another program?

Corona mapping randomizer and multi-map are indispensable tools for masking texture repetition.

I tried to use assets from megascans, but yeah of course if you place 10 similar curbs in the scene it looks to identical.. how are you handling this? Is there a way to make them look different?

Megascans use bespoke, non-tiling textures for each asset, so you can't use mapping randomizer, but you can use multi-map and color correct nodes to add some HSL variation to the texture. Using Corona layered material to add random grunge and dirt layer on top is good method to hide repetition. Corona decals are another great way to add randomness to your scene. Mirroring few curbs on longer axis is yet another way.

I ve also seen so called “modular curbs“ assets on megascans.. are they better or special in any way? Or is there a way to edit this 3d models? I mean when you place them along a spline with curves etc.. they are sometimes looking very strange.. is there any workflow for megascan assets do change?

Not sure if i understand the question correctly, but of course you can edit megascan assets, like any other regular polygonal object.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures