Author Topic: Displacement behaviour Phoenix map  (Read 7128 times)

2021-05-02, 21:59:26
Reply #15

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there...

Any updates on this displacement issue? Is there any chance to keep a legacy checkbox for previous Corona behavior on it? It would be VERY helpful

thanks!

2021-05-04, 15:50:11
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Flavius, I am sorry, but I got a bit confused with the whole thread being lengthy, so I would appreciate some clarification:
To reproduce the issue, I should just take your sample scene and render it with Corona 6, and then with the newest V7 daily?
Or should I additionally change some setting? (e.g. turn vector displacement on/off in the Phoenix map)

Thanks in advance for clarifying that. What would work best would be:
- this used to work
- this doesn't work
- to reproduce do this

Thanks!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-05-04, 16:16:28
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok, sorry, I don't need any extra steps. I was able to reproduce it, and I think I have a workaround for you:

1. Select your Phoenix map in the material editor.
2. Right click > Show / hide > Additional params > Show all
3. Change "RGB offset" to 0.5

This is not very professional, but... I have no idea what this is and why it works. I admin that I found it totally randomly, but it seems to fix the issue in V7.
V6 renders as expected.

I am attaching screenshots showing the option.

I will also report this to our dev team, and will most likely involve the Phoenix team.

(Report ID=CRMAX-529)

« Last Edit: 2021-05-04, 17:00:37 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-05-05, 08:29:25
Reply #18

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru,

Thanks for the workaround! I will try it asap...But man I don't know how you come up with these solutions. Also that extra noise I was having from the water...you turning caustics on and using a RaySwitch material, that's some true witchcraft there!

2021-05-06, 22:42:16
Reply #19

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Recently I ran into the same problem, out of habit I assigned the texture to PhoenixFDOceanTex and saw this result. But quickly realizing that it was Vector Displacement, I put it in the standard 3ds max Vector Displacement card. Note that in the 6 version of Corona, this does not need to be done.

2021-05-11, 15:20:02
Reply #20

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, did you also notice that the quality is a bit worse with Corona 7 regarding displacement? I mean previously I could get very detailed water with about 2-3 pixel subdiv value at 5000 pixels images but now I need to lower that value to 1 to get similar results. I don't have time to do proper tests but I see how my water is less detailed at values that I've always been using. Is there anyway to keep a Corona 6 legacy displacement option please?

Thanks!

2021-05-12, 10:50:36
Reply #21

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Unfortunately the old displacement won't be coming back. It had it's own issues and it was not possible for us to maintain two different displacement methods.

I think in some cases you will have to lower the screen size to get comparable quality, however the memory usage and computation time should also be lower than the old displacement.

If you find some situation where this is not true please let me know and we will investigate it.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-05-12, 11:18:14
Reply #22

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding the old displacement not coming back - I posted here a while back for something to check, the old displacement was much better at hiding these issues when problems arose.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=26398.60

2021-05-19, 10:44:18
Reply #23

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Unfortunately the old displacement won't be coming back. It had it's own issues and it was not possible for us to maintain two different displacement methods.

I think in some cases you will have to lower the screen size to get comparable quality, however the memory usage and computation time should also be lower than the old displacement.

If you find some situation where this is not true please let me know and we will investigate it.

Thanks,

Rowan

I understand... but I can say that I must really lower the subdivions value now of the displacement when I am using the Phoenix ocean map and it takes much more longer to calculate compared to Corona 6. I don't use any other kind of displacement, only for water and it's a bit of a pain now sadly.

2021-06-03, 19:43:41
Reply #24

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi Flavius,

We have fixed this in todays daily build (v7 2021-06-03). Please can you try it out and let me know if you have some more issues.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!