Author Topic: using direct lights  (Read 6198 times)

2016-11-17, 22:15:41

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
 I am having an issue when using direct lights. When setting corona lights to direction of .5 and above i seems to get noise that takes longer to clear  . It happens to me regularly and I am wondering if I am missing something.

Currently I am using 30 GI and 12 Light samples and 20 passes it takes 13 mins and it still not clear, Its for an animation so I am trying to keep the times under 15.

Thanks

2016-11-17, 23:12:44
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Don't change from default, this conflicts with Adaptivity. (In rare cases it may make sense to adjust AAvsGI, but since adaptivity, this is being done by a automatic multiplier for rays vs samples on a per pixel level)
Directional shows the cone edges of the light. That gradient of light requires by definition more rays to be displayed properly, however the difference should be small.

As such it suggests some other interplay of settings or the scene setup being the culprit. Post a screenshot or a scene, where you can reproduce the slow down and someone will take a look at it.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-11-17, 23:17:35
Reply #2

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok I will try with the default and see what happens. I think maybe its do it my materials because when I use default material it dosent seem to be an issue.

2016-11-18, 01:47:36
Reply #3

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
same issue with the default setting. I added the render elements and it seems all the noise is in the GI should I increase samples?

2016-11-18, 07:05:15
Reply #4

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Show screenshot, maybe its something in the scene.

2016-11-21, 14:57:59
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Don't change from default, this conflicts with Adaptivity. (In rare cases it may make sense to adjust AAvsGI, but since adaptivity, this is being done by a automatic multiplier for rays vs samples on a per pixel level)
we actually dont have that yet, but we are hoping for 1.6 to include this.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-11-21, 15:49:35
Reply #6

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
we actually dont have that yet, but we are hoping for 1.6 to include this.
Yeah I know, I read it on the forum somewhere. I didn't mean AAvsGI is automatic. I actually thought about making the distinction when writing, but thought it would be too much.
I mean, somehow adaptivity DOES increase Ray count multiplier on some areas and setting it to 0 on direct environment, or am I misunderstanding it? Does it actually affect samples?

2016-12-10, 20:16:50
Reply #7

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi I am still having issues with this. I have  been using the default settings and the images below are after 120 passes. Most of the noise seems to be in the GI.

2016-12-10, 20:31:45
Reply #8

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This render is with all the directions of the lights set to zero. It takes 30 passes and about 7 mins and is pretty clear noise wise.

2016-12-10, 21:17:12
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
You don't have any bug in your scene... This is simply limitation of Corona. Any directionality above about 0.5 will produce extreme noise. There are two ways to go around this:

1, Use 3ds Max's native spotlight, ideally photometric light.

or 2, simply model a light blocker around your corona light, and give it 100% black material with no reflection.

Both these workarounds will speed your scene up dramatically.

And be sure to put sampling back to default after that. LSM 12 and GI/AA 30 are unnecessarily high values.

2016-12-10, 21:44:24
Reply #10

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the response.

can you explain the second option a bit more. so put a light blocker around the light like a cone or over the whole scene?

2016-12-10, 21:59:33
Reply #11

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Thanks for the response.

can you explain the second option a bit more. so put a light blocker around the light like a cone or over the whole scene?

A cylinder, cone or box, depending on the shape of your light and how much directionality you want. Directionality parameter of CoronaLight is basically just a simulation of light shape being pushed down inside some casing... Like a light source that's further away from its opening.

And then you can just make the blocker invisible for camera and reflection/refraction in object properties.

But still, the best way for this is to use native 3ds Max photometric light with spotlight distribution. It will have superior speed.

2016-12-10, 22:28:35
Reply #12

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Switched to photometrics on the direct lights. All good now and so much faster. Much thanks! saved my weekend efforts.

2016-12-10, 22:43:38
Reply #13

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Switched to photometrics on the direct lights. All good now and so much faster. Much thanks! saved my weekend efforts.

I actually meant photometric lights. Lights that come with 3ds Max, not corona. But photometric IES profile is also a good option, since it's also not nearly as noisy as directionality.