Author Topic: The City of Sayil / 10th Century Mayan city reconstruction  (Read 9920 times)

2019-02-24, 07:39:33

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello plp.
My latest personal one. hope you like it

The City of Sayil. Historical reconstruction. 10th Century

Ongoing personal Project about Pre-Hispanic Mayan life.
Each image would be available as big size prints and eventually the sum of all of them would make a book,
Enjoy!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3owAlo

2019-02-25, 03:00:18
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Personal one?
Personal?
That is breathtakingly awesome! Absolutely perfect execution.
Good lord the resolution and the detail. The 3000x1340 res is underscored as low. As if to mock us :P You own a personal renderfarm?

The landscape is Avatar level detailed and alive. Screenshot from Avatar attached, you are definitely matching the quality of one of the most expensive movies ever produced.
The Fog, the lighting, everything plays perfectly together. Is the smoke done in post or in renderer? Because it interacts perfectly with the shadows and so on.

Is it an actual personal project, as in no team was involved?

This reminds me of Age of Empires a bit. Something like one might dream future games will look like.
Another Corona artist posted an image of a building modeled in the Dune universe. Which is what I imagine Dune 2000 would look like in 2050.
This is exactly what I imagine Age of empires 2 with it's Maya expansion "The conquerors" will look in 2050.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-25, 03:04:54 by SairesArt »
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-02-25, 09:34:04
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I'm with SairesArt on this one. This is insanely good.  Outstanding work buddy!!!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-02-25, 16:56:30
Reply #3

Giorgos Zacharioudakis

• Active Users
  • CG Artist at 500s studio
    • View Profile
    • 500s studio
All those tiny details, the vegetation, the light...  Congrats my friend, I can't wait to see more of this.
Forming digital canvas with geometries shaped with lights, traveling the viewer’s mind through time and space.

2019-02-25, 17:35:21
Reply #4

Kilja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
This is insane awesome! not just the execution, but the idea to reconstruct and make history alive. Very inspiring.

2019-02-25, 23:54:19
Reply #5

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Marvelous work, mate. Loving the composition, lighting and detailing. How long did did u spend on this project? :- )

Also noticed the story/activities told in the renders.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-25, 23:59:25 by melviso »

2019-02-26, 02:21:40
Reply #6

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Personal one?
Personal?
That is breathtakingly awesome! Absolutely perfect execution.
Good lord the resolution and the detail. The 3000x1340 res is underscored as low. As if to mock us :P You own a personal renderfarm?

The landscape is Avatar level detailed and alive. Screenshot from Avatar attached, you are definitely matching the quality of one of the most expensive movies ever produced.
The Fog, the lighting, everything plays perfectly together. Is the smoke done in post or in renderer? Because it interacts perfectly with the shadows and so on.

Is it an actual personal project, as in no team was involved?

This reminds me of Age of Empires a bit. Something like one might dream future games will look like.
Another Corona artist posted an image of a building modeled in the Dune universe. Which is what I imagine Dune 2000 would look like in 2050.
This is exactly what I imagine Age of empires 2 with it's Maya expansion "The conquerors" will look in 2050.

Hahaha! Thanks for such candid takes. it really inspires me to keep doing more. Funny that you compare it to Avatar. I used to work at Weta :)

Yes, it is just me :) ..but it goes very slow as i have to juggle with other things. So far i have only Two final images for the project.

The smoke is added in PS. I'll play with some cg one for the next image.

I don't have a render farm or that much RAM. I eventually couldn't render it at home so sent it to a Farm online for a single frame. It went really quick, mostly the file handling was the hassle. I put a 200 passes limit so it was a bit noise ...but an acceptable noise . Final resolution is 12K.

2019-02-26, 03:27:49
Reply #7

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
So much work, detail, texture job, all Impressive!

2019-03-12, 08:17:50
Reply #8

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you arqrenderz!.
Will post some render passes and more details as soon as i find the time.

2019-03-12, 08:40:10
Reply #9

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Beautiful rendering, I love the attention to detail!

One funny thing I noticed: I might be mistaken, but isn't this a Spanish colonial church in the background? :-)

2019-03-12, 10:44:07
Reply #10

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Heck what a fantastic project! Mind blowing, and it looks really good. Well done!

2019-03-12, 11:35:57
Reply #11

pmcf1981

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-03-19, 03:22:56
Reply #12

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Beautiful rendering, I love the attention to detail!

One funny thing I noticed: I might be mistaken, but isn't this a Spanish colonial church in the background? :-)

I didn't noticed these latest comments!. Thank you guys! it keeps me going.

Yes, Huoska!.It was indeed a colonial church poking in the distance which i retouched to look like a Mayan Pyramid Crest. i guess i failed there cuz still looks colonial. I hate you now :)

2019-03-19, 03:28:10
Reply #13

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Marvelous work, mate. Loving the composition, lighting and detailing. How long did did u spend on this project? :- )

Also noticed the story/activities told in the renders.

Hard to say Melviso. I have been at least for 2 and half years on and off with the whole project. That particular image took me maybe around 4 to 6 weeks without counting how long it took to create the assets.
The Merchant Portrait took me a couple of months of hard work as i had never done characters before.

2019-03-20, 02:47:03
Reply #14

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
These renders are, of course, sublime. Congratulations :)

Can you please explain the texture workflow for the village buildings? For example, is everything textured procedurally or are some of the assets textured in Substance Painter or Mari?