Author Topic: Render Big Resolution  (Read 8393 times)

2017-12-05, 23:01:32

studiobasler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Forum,
i do have to render a scene in 20k and  unfortunately i get error messages all the time which say 'to less ram'. I have 128 gb of ram in my machine but i cant render higher than 13K.
The scene is nothing special. Its a parkdeck with some pillars, a floor and some walls. Two of the Materials have displacement material. I do have about 15 light sources and one hdri as my main light. I put all the lights in the multipass light mix selection and applied denoising to them. So usually i render in Corona vfb and save out my images as exr. Is this the way to go or is it better to use c4d picture viewer instead?

Any suggestions would be very fine, thank you.

Cheers
Christian

2017-12-06, 04:30:38
Reply #1

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
The tiled camera.
It should be in the under presets/tools&helpers in the library.
The "camera" renders an image sequence of tiles which you can adjust and compose later.
I just tried it with corona and it works fine.

Here's the Tutorial:

« Last Edit: 2017-12-06, 04:39:22 by Eddoron »

2017-12-06, 09:47:42
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Also bear in mind that every LightSelect requires additional memory, and applying denoising requires additional memory (for every pass it is applied to, including LightSelects). So, reducing the number of LightSelect render elements will help with memory (maybe there is another way to group the lights that will reduce the number of LightSelect elements). You could also try "Gather data for later" and apply denoising in the CIE outside of the 3D application (save to CXR format to be able to do that).

You could also bake the LightMix settings back into the scene and render without them, with the final lighting already there in the Beauty pass, if you aren't loading up different settings for one render.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-12-06, 10:37:55
Reply #3

studiobasler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you, baking will be the next thing i would try.

So what would you suggest when it comes to render such big sizes. I noticed that even with a simple setup, for example a cube and 2 lights, it takes so much more time to render. I dindt work with vray for a long time, but i remember that there was not such a big time shift when it comes to render big sizes. Is this a point which will need more development or am i doing something totally wrong?

2017-12-06, 11:31:35
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Time and memory are often two different things :) Although if memory runs out, it will affect time, since things will start paging etc.

So, saving memory - less render elements is better, especially elements like LightSelects. Denoising outside of the 3D app can help. Or, not Denoising at all and simply rendering for more passes may be more effective, and could even reduce render times if it means you no longer run into low memory situations.

For time, personally I find that as resolution goes up, the Noise Level you render to can go up as well. That is, you can render for less passes in a higher resolution and get a result that is as visually pleasing (I haven't put that to a scientific test mind you). So, higher noise level and / or less passes (depending on which you are using) could help.

Then there is indeed the option to render in strips or image sections, and then combine them back together afterward, if it becomes really necessary to save memory (e.g. you absolutely can't remove any more render elements, or absolutely must have Denoising on all passes, etc.)

2017-12-06, 23:54:16
Reply #5

studiobasler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok thank you for all this usefull thoughts. I follow your advise and bake the lights into the scene.  Once i hit the ">Scene" button i cant go back to my original light setup isnt it?
DO i have to save a backup file ore is there an other way to setback all my lights to the initial values means killing the baking Information somehow?

2017-12-07, 06:30:52
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Correct, the >Scene button changes the light settings in Max, so there is no way to "go back" to other settings. You could either save multiple versions of the scene if you need the different light set ups, or you could keep the one initial version of the scene, save the various LightMixes to .conf files, then load them, bake to scene, delete the LightMix and LightSelect render elements, and render (never saving the scene after doing that). Then for the next LightMix set up, reload the scene, load the next .conf, >Scene, delete the render elements, and render. Depends on whether having multiple scene versions is easier or harder than having multiple steps to render. And of course only necessary when resolutions have become large enough to make memory an issue!

2017-12-07, 08:42:33
Reply #7

studiobasler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok thanks for clearing this up. Maybe this is useful to put in the description of "How to use Light mix".

Thank you very much