Author Topic: Better RAM mangement - IMO it's a very important thing that we need.  (Read 1811 times)

2014-08-21, 12:57:58

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think Corona needs better memory management.

I have some interiors, and just one room can fill up 8Gb of ram, it's not a madness interior, so I don't understand why it can take so much ram with just one scene, I'll publish here the video once it's done so you can see what I mean.

What do you think?
Have you struggled over the scenes to fit them in RAM? (not being super duper complex ram eating scenes I mean... a forest don't count hehehe)

Cheers.

2014-08-26, 01:13:57
Reply #1

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how it works internally but may be corona uses as much ram as possible to store lightning solution, textures, rendered passes,... whatever, and avoid swapping/hd access as much as possible along rendering...

You can see many people rendering vegetations, I did it too over 12Gb ram covering 40.000m² grass (6 variety) with +- 50 trees (6variety), and it worked good.

The question is have you some memory issue impacting your rendering ? If not why by hell should you preserve ram from being used while you paid for it to be full and fast :)
Although if you want to render while doing something else a ram limitation setting would be usefull.

PS : you can eventually check with the corona benchmark interior scene, your interior might be simple, if you subdiv a pillow till 30Mpolys it would still eats ram like a mad shark... may be some object got corrupted in that way ?
« Last Edit: 2014-08-26, 01:17:52 by Utroll »