Author Topic: Corona render speed  (Read 43506 times)

2014-08-26, 09:03:39
Reply #15

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
can you elaborate in brief please ............Thanks

I believe he was being sarcastic :) ...meaning it has unrealistic/surreal lightning
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-08-26, 09:45:09
Reply #16

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I believe he was being sarcastic :) ...meaning it has unrealistic/surreal lightning
Which is silly, because you can use any render engine to produce unrealistic results. Redshift doesn't produce quite as realistic images as Corona, but on the other hand it is WAY faster, deals with large scenes much better, and has a bunch of other "production features" like volumes and whatnot. If you need really really good interior renders and don't mind the render time, Corona is a great choice. If you need features Corona lacks, or you need really fast render times, and you can live with the slight reduction in realism, Redshift is a great choice. It's basically V-Ray on the GPU.

2014-08-26, 09:57:48
Reply #17

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Which is silly, because you can use any render engine to produce unrealistic results. Redshift doesn't produce quite as realistic images as Corona, but on the other hand it is WAY faster, deals with large scenes much better, and has a bunch of other "production features" like volumes and whatnot. If you need really really good interior renders and don't mind the render time, Corona is a great choice. If you need features Corona lacks, or you need really fast render times, and you can live with the slight reduction in realism, Redshift is a great choice. It's basically V-Ray on the GPU.

I can't say anything about it since I have never used it, I was simply trying to explain the sentence. I am one of those that will never say a bad thing about any render engine out there since I have seen amazing artwork using all kind of render engines - even scan-line can produce really stunning images if the artist knows what he is doing.

Render engine doesn't make someone a better artist, it only makes it easier to achieve something.

2014-08-26, 18:08:41
Reply #18

rampally

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for all answers  ..........did one test  in maya ........render took 37 sec to render 2.5k res
not bad at all................but it is like going back to vray.........even though quality can be tweaked  in post with some bunch of passes  ......over all its good..........BUT I LOVE corona....its my friend (in my life if i make a friend i will never leave them)
« Last Edit: 2014-08-26, 18:12:41 by rampally »

2014-09-05, 01:06:27
Reply #19

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I don't really like how biased render .. render, and a few examples I saw on redshift gallery were exactly in the direction I dislike. Very artificial mood, chairs seem to float (aka contact shadows somewhat lost) etc...

2014-09-05, 01:57:01
Reply #20

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It's not silly sir, I'm just saying what you're saying too in a raw way. If you can bear this kind of render then yes it worthes its cost.
https://www.redshift3d.com/cms/ce_image/made/cms/assets/user_gallery/Image4_1200_900.jpg
The good old chairs flying foot etc... of course its more bearable in video prod.

Thanks for all answers  ..........did one test  in maya ........render took 37 sec to render 2.5k res
not bad at all................but it is like going back to vray.........even though quality can be tweaked  in post with some bunch of passes  ......over all its good..........BUT I LOVE corona....its my friend (in my life if i make a friend i will never leave them)

Then you should use cry engine, it's doing 8K in 0.3 to 0,5s :D
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5690514/crysis-3-8k-resolution-screenshots
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/k_putt/sets/72157644191959442/
« Last Edit: 2014-09-05, 02:06:33 by Utroll »

2014-09-05, 08:31:15
Reply #21

rampally

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Utroll i can understand you............However we need to understand others hard work Tooo...........i love Corona and as i have said above corona is my friend

2014-09-05, 09:47:52
Reply #22

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It's not silly sir, I'm just saying what you're saying too in a raw way. If you can bear this kind of render then yes it worthes its cost.
https://www.redshift3d.com/cms/ce_image/made/cms/assets/user_gallery/Image4_1200_900.jpg
The good old chairs flying foot etc... of course its more bearable in video prod.
Have you actually tried Redshift? The whole "flying foot" thing is likely a modelling issue; I haven't had any problems with missing shadows and the like. Redshift works really well in brute force + cache mode, and because the first bounce is brute force it catches basically every last detail. I'm sure you can configure RS to give you problems like this -- just like you can with V-Ray.

2014-09-05, 10:35:54
Reply #23

rampally

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-09-07, 21:49:29
Reply #24

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please give us real scenario, an interior scene with reasonable amount of geometry, textures, etc.
Exterior scènes are fast to compute, and corona does them fast also.
But the real stress test is interior scènes. And we are not always doing exterior scènes.
I'm tired of these démos, always showing that the renderer is fast, but without real challenge.
Also, 3 gtx 780 for that result only? Not so impressive. And with DOF, the noise is slow to go away. I'm sure corona with 3 machines (for the 3 gtx) + the base one = 4 machines/cpu's in total would have done better.
Seriously, I'm not so amazed by gpu rendering so far. So many highend cards to buy, only to obtain a little improvement at the end, and oh, scalability doesn't seem good as well, not to mention the difficulty to program stuff for it.
I don't understand this gpu hype. They'd better develop new cpu cards, improve software, and leave the gpu for games and display...

2014-09-07, 22:24:03
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Seriously, I'm not so amazed by gpu rendering so far. So many highend cards to buy, only to obtain a little improvement at the end, and oh, scalability doesn't seem good as well, not to mention the difficulty to program stuff for it.
I don't understand this gpu hype. They'd better develop new cpu cards, improve software, and leave the gpu for games and display...

Than you are smarter than most and don't fall easily for marketing scam :- ). GPU rendering is indeed still mostly just 'hype'. It's not 10 000 times faster, it's not 10 times faster either. It IS faster considering its parallel nature and
the fact that GPU chips (by both nVidia and AMD) evolved quite much more than CPU chips did over the last 5 years, but at what cost ? Until Redshift came, you had two options: Fit your scene into mainstream gaming card (Radeon, GTX), which go between
2 to 6GB, but c'mon, 6GB is still nothing. Or, pay for re-branded "pro" cards and get 6 to 12GB of Vram at 10!!! times the cost (Quadro, Tesla for Cuda, and FirePro for OpenCL), at which it was no longer scalable or cheap. It was in fact, more expensive.

GPU rendering is too much tied to drastically changing politics of GPU companies (AMD ignoring OpenCL development at times ? nVidia 'crippling' gamecards to literally force you to buy the same chip in pro segment ? Adding additional memory only when others (gamers, scientists,etc..) need it (so it took 4 years ! to get to 6GB in mainstream, congrats, you can render rotating cars).

Octane render came in 2009, 5 years ago with claims of gpu-rendering to be game-changer, revolutionary act. 5 years later...where is it ? Still nowhere. So maybe in next 3-4 years, it will do better, it might. But really, nothing amazing about it now,
just tons of cluessed brainwashed people by simple (and factually wrong) propaganda.

tl;dr: gpu rendering still sucks. Get over it.

{leg: I own Octane licence, did for many years. I use Unreal/CE3, I love GPUs, just not for pure ray-tracing }
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-09-08, 00:21:52
Reply #26

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Glad to see I'm not alone.

2014-09-18, 09:33:45
Reply #27

arcvs

Also some people are not aware that with GPU rendering you always need +1 GFX card for display or your system becomes unusable while rendering.

2014-09-18, 10:11:06
Reply #28

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Well, Juraj, first of all, I agree almost completely with you. Even though I must admit that I am still using 3xGTX780's in my home i7 rig for some product shot renderings using Bunkspeed suite and which I cannot do in Corona yet.

It is way way faster then CPU and you simply cannot match the quality/speed of the latest mental images iray for lets say diamonds or something that needs real dispersion to look right.

For everything else, I definitely prefer standard CPU renderers.

2014-09-18, 10:41:11
Reply #29

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well let me say that octane and iRay were a game changer, but not in the sense the said.

The change was people choice of unbiased or nearly unbiased over old biased techniques that remained unchanged for years.

Of course the GPU solution has been much worse than it was supposed to be but that is not because
the software behind it but because the Nvidia's greed.

How much time passed since we got the 580? It is the best rendering card behind the Titan, the problem...limited RAM, the other problem... They don't share CUDA... The other problem... ATI don't want to integrate CUDA...

MAXWELL architecture was suppossed to be astonishing for rendering, and the initial feelings is that it is a bit faster tha before... A bit... And Corona blasted any GPU with the good old CPU so...

So the GPU rendering solution may have not been bad... But the greed finished him IMHO we should be seeing real time 1080p frames totally clean by now with GPU... and that is not the case...

Cheers!