Author Topic: Image increasingly dark - 1.4 RC7  (Read 3638 times)

2016-05-16, 13:39:29

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
  • http://www.alexandre-besson.com
    • View Profile
    • Alexandre Besson portfolio
Hi,

I have a strange issue, my image becomes increasingly dark each render.

Thanks

2016-05-16, 13:45:05
Reply #1

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
  • http://www.alexandre-besson.com
    • View Profile
    • Alexandre Besson portfolio

some precision: When I increase exposure after a render, the next render becomes dark again.

2016-05-16, 15:29:36
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm... Could it be this? https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000517899
Can you set MSI to 0 and see if it behaves the same way?
Maybe you are using a Corona Output map somewhere?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-05-16, 15:49:46
Reply #3

Alexandre SCELLIER

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.alexandre-scellier.fr
I'm having the same problem. The only way to achieve a convincing result is to use the 0 MSI value. But it's not resolving noise a all ! doing some test with the 1.3 / 1.4 Dailybuild NOT RC to see if it worked ...

2016-05-16, 15:53:02
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Guys, be sure to read the article I linked. If that's the reason then this is EXPECTED behavior.

2016-05-16, 18:16:59
Reply #5

Alexandre SCELLIER

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.alexandre-scellier.fr
As we're working together, i'll answer for the both of us.
We didin't touch the MSI until you told us. The problem appeared BEFORE (with default 20 MSI value) ... It only happens in a specific interior view as the others cams (interior shots included) gave us results we were expecting. We already have done a lot of images with Corona without any problem - this is why we would like to understand what's really happening.
In this particular case, it looks like the exposure control is virtually locked and we couldn't succeed with 1.3 / Daily builds / non-RC neither. Adding a portal resolve the thing a little bit (we gain like 1-2 exposure levels) but the image deseperatly looks dark !
In a second time, AFTER reading the article you gave us, we tried changing the MSI to 0.
The image appeared correctly (nevertheless a bit noisy) and we could reach the expected result playing with EV - trying other values didin't work at all.
So, the new question is : is that normal having to play - when the light is rare - with two parameters (MSI + EV) instead of a single one (EV) or is that a problem ?
thx.
« Last Edit: 2016-05-16, 18:20:34 by Alexandre SCELLIER »

2016-05-20, 17:13:19
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We didin't touch the MSI until you told us. The problem appeared BEFORE (with default 20 MSI value) ... It only happens in a specific interior view as the others cams (interior shots included) gave us results we were expecting. We already have done a lot of images with Corona without any problem - this is why we would like to understand what's really happening.
If "the problem" is what is described in the article I have linked earlier, then it is, again, EXPECTED to happen with the default value of MSI 20 an it will NOT happen with MSI 0.
However, I am not sure what the issue here is, so I am just guessing.

In this particular case, it looks like the exposure control is virtually locked and we couldn't succeed with 1.3 / Daily builds / non-RC neither. Adding a portal resolve the thing a little bit (we gain like 1-2 exposure levels) but the image deseperatly looks dark !
I am not sure if we are talking about the same renderer here. ;)
Portals should never introduce any exposure changes in Corona. In fact, they should introduce no changes at all, except for sampling (noise, image quality).

In a second time, AFTER reading the article you gave us, we tried changing the MSI to 0.
That would confirm that this really is an expected behavior.

So, the new question is : is that normal having to play - when the light is rare - with two parameters (MSI + EV) instead of a single one (EV) or is that a problem ?
Changing EV AFTER an image is rendered may sometimes produce different results than changing EV BEFORE the image is rendered, as described in that article.

2017-03-29, 09:16:26
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
expected behavior (unfortunately)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)