Author Topic: Realistic Grass / Plants  (Read 2313 times)

2021-03-07, 19:04:03

kristaqbaci

• Users
    • View Profile
Good day,

I understand that this is more a rocket science question, but can anyone provide any tips on achieving realistic plants or grass?

Thank you!

2021-03-08, 04:37:06
Reply #1

Ealexander

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • evan alexander
Well, a pretty open ended question, but here are some random thoughts - I'm not a foliage expert but have done scenes with a lot of it:

1. Good source material. It really pays off here. Buy good assets or if creating them with specialized software do it right. There is a lot of cheap, badly mapped foliage around the internet: get the best stuff you can afford.

2. Think about Level of detail and distance from camera. Trees right near the camera or main focal point should be high poly with good textures and stuff further back and far away can be lower poly and resolution. This helps keep polygon count lower as well - see No. 3

3. Foliage can be expensive in render time and file sizes. Work efficiently and organized. Instance as much as possible. You'll need decent hardware to keep it rendering snappy.

4. I keep foliage on its own Layer or all in one Master null so I can hide it in viewport and keep my frame rates working well while working and tweaking the rest of the model or doing test renderings for architecture.

5. Leaves and grass have subtle translucency I. E. They show backlight from the sun. This helps realism but can add render time. If slowing down your scene, keep it turned off for testing and on for final outputs.

6. Forester is a decent plug in for Cinema with a big library and it can create materials automatically for a few different render engines. I use purchased models for the closest and Forester for the mid and far ranges.

I think Corona does very well with foliage. Hope that helps some.

e.

2021-03-08, 04:46:08
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You could add to this list — using cutout trees or tree lines (shape of tree with alpha channel mapped onto plane). This is particularly useful for distant foliage. Why use polygons that you will never see at that distance?
« Last Edit: 2021-03-08, 17:22:14 by BigAl3D »

2021-03-08, 21:54:38
Reply #3

kristaqbaci

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you both! Will look into those tips! I really appreciate it!

2021-03-09, 01:14:00
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just for the sake of completeness - there is a growing number of plant objects in the content browser, too. The materials are pointless for the use with Corona, but converting them is not rocket science either.