Author Topic: Snow material  (Read 6565 times)

2020-01-04, 19:54:50

KirilloTRON

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tired of snow looking like a foam on many renders I saw online, so this is my attempt to achieve more natural-looking snow in Corona Renderer. This material is good for almost every scenario, maybe except macro photo. It's not a single-button thou. Mainly controlled by Size parameter in Noise maps linked to displacement, displacement Max. level and Radius scale in Subsurface scattering tab. You also can adjust Glossiness values in Reflection tab to achieve more rough or icy feel of the shader.

It depends on the UVW scale of the object to which it is assigned and is sensitive to low polygonal geometry. Triplanar mapping doesn't work with procedural noise very well, but for some scenarios, it's good to have it in reflection slot, so I keep it there. But displacement doesn't look good with noise and triplanar combo, so I decided to not link parameter to real-world scale for now. If you know how to make friends with these two maps in one chain I'd appreciate some advice.

In general, if you know how to apply noise maps in your workflow, you can deal with it.

I achieved this kind of results with this shader, so I think it would be helpful for others :)

2020-01-21, 19:12:06
Reply #1

Buzzz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice material, test is more real.

2020-01-22, 09:08:55
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Very nice, I've been struggling with this - it seems there is no material to suit all purposes, some look good close-up, others are only acceptable from afar.

Would you mind sharing this set-up?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2020-01-24, 09:49:54
Reply #3

KirilloTRON

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very nice, I've been struggling with this - it seems there is no material to suit all purposes, some look good close-up, others are only acceptable from afar.

Would you mind sharing this set-up?

There is an attachment in the first post with archive :)
For myself, I found that's best practice would be separate meshes for the foreground and background, with high poly density on the foreground and eyeballing parameters of my material with noise sizes to achieve this spiky looking snow, and for the background mid/lowpoly meshes to create separate material without displacement, but relink it map to the bump slot.