Author Topic: Rhino to 3DSMax  (Read 34221 times)

2019-10-05, 16:07:07
Reply #15

arcmos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There's no need to model walls in Rhino ? ... except that you can model way faster than in any Prog like Max or C4D.
Yes, could be. I refer to:
I was taught in Rhino. I consider myself a Rhino expert. So modelling in anything other than Rhino is basically out of the question for me. Additionally, as I work exclusively with architects, on REAL projects, I require accuracy. I receive most models in Rhino. So this is why I'm needing to import from Rhino to Max.

2019-10-14, 13:39:48
Reply #16

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There's no need to model walls in Rhino ? ... except that you can model way faster than in any Prog like Max or C4D.
Yes, could be. I refer to:
I was taught in Rhino. I consider myself a Rhino expert. So modelling in anything other than Rhino is basically out of the question for me. Additionally, as I work exclusively with architects, on REAL projects, I require accuracy. I receive most models in Rhino. So this is why I'm needing to import from Rhino to Max.

Well, it´s always good to be able to model in different softs - and to use their particular strengths for the specific states of the project.

Funny... had not seen this post with the claim that "he works on REAL projects"...
As if other people do only phantasy projects... :)

2019-10-14, 15:04:13
Reply #17

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
on the triangles issue, have you tried the new rhino7 wip quadmesh plugin? It looks quite interesting.

https://www.food4rhino.com/app/createquadmesh

Also using the built in Mesh from surface/polysurface with some adjusted settings can do a pretty good job, not 100% but in this case I couldnt find a triangle.

« Last Edit: 2019-10-14, 18:29:48 by James Vella »

2019-10-15, 22:38:41
Reply #18

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
on the triangles issue, have you tried the new rhino7 wip quadmesh plugin? It looks quite interesting.

https://www.food4rhino.com/app/createquadmesh

Also using the built in Mesh from surface/polysurface with some adjusted settings can do a pretty good job, not 100% but in this case I couldnt find a triangle.

Yeah, this setting I also use for organic or round shapes.
Creates a quite OK quad mesh.

2020-03-02, 10:42:26
Reply #19

Amin Arian

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello Experts,i suggest you to use "3ds" for importing basic an Qbic model into the 3ds Max.

2021-01-03, 08:33:23
Reply #20

kasrasha

• Users
    • View Profile
The best way I found these years is: to have layers in 3ds Max, you have to assign a material to each layer in rhino ( only a separated named material with no color and texture works). then export it as 3d`s and it would work Just Perfect...

2021-02-18, 08:45:54
Reply #21

Buzzz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I have been modeling in Rhino for many years and this is my best export option to 3ds Max.

Attached screenshots of the process.

Regards

2021-02-18, 09:07:39
Reply #22

louisryko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy Moly Buzzz,

That is the nicest import I've seen (tested it myself and boy, it's much better than anything I've ever produced).

The funny news is; as importing was such a hassle since my original post I've forced myself to learn modelling in Max properly. So now this info is kind of unnecessary for me these days :)

Good news; now know max, bad news; don't use rhino anymore :(

2021-02-18, 09:29:24
Reply #23

Buzzz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok.

Rhino is fast and easy to use in architecture. It´s true that having everything in the same program is better and futures changes in geometry.

2021-02-18, 16:52:12
Reply #24

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I've found myself modeling straight into 3dsMax more as well. Per usual, max does somethings better than Rhino, and vice versa. However, I still find he need to export from Rhino into max for objects that I generate in Grasshopper. I'm going to try this method next time I need that ability.

2021-03-02, 10:16:06
Reply #25

Architex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.. Found this interesting post here and i want to contribute because i use Rhino on my daily work and 3ds max at home.
Well! There was the MoI 3D in which you can add ngons on exports but today we have Rhinoceros 7 and their retopology + sub-D methods.
Although i have been struggling with this to.
What i found:
Simple geometries like regular extrudes, boxes, surfaces... All kind of regular solid its better to export as simple DWG.
All geometry goes clean and retain layers information. Perfect here.
Complex geometries, like curves, parabolas, hyperbolic, or any other curved surface object, let say, a wash basin, a tap water, a toilet, a car, or any similar, there is a need on this objects to be clean as possible. Mostly close and well modeled. After you can retopology them before export.
From here i found .STEP a good non kill curves. No faces triangulates. All viewport seems clean. But then when you need to convert to poly for Chamfer purposes or any other, we get Fuc...ked.
OBJ, FBX, 3DS max formats, some how is a mess but they retain all information in export.
If the geometry is a mesh you can select all edges and press "clean edges" in the modifier panel. The weld vertex.
Conclusions... Still today i never found a good explanation for this. As far i have found it is because of the NURBS Algorithm from Rhino department.
Its a pain to get rid of those tessellations in viewport.
If there is anyone with a googd solution let us know.
Cheers

2021-03-22, 20:09:42
Reply #26

Buzzz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-03-22, 20:23:11 by Buzzz »

2022-08-02, 09:46:33
Reply #27

Architex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
UP!

Lets keep this post open.
More info about this topic would be great.
If any one have more facts please come here.

Cheers

2022-08-17, 15:16:10
Reply #28

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I've been saying for years that a better solution would just be to develop Corona for Rhino already lol

2022-11-21, 12:31:39
Reply #29

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
From my tests, it's no longer possible to export a clean and well-organized model from Rhino post Rhino 5.

Currently I run rhino 7 for compatibility and save down to rhino 5 for exporting. There was a small change in the obj exporter that means it's no good anymore. I have raised this issue on the Rhino forums, but I just get the forum-equivalent of blank-stares and the suggestions of how to work-around the problem just results in circular and contradictory logic.

In my opinion, in rhino 5, these are the best setting for exporting. It will give you object naming that is logical.