Author Topic: Normal map error with normals  (Read 21206 times)

2013-10-14, 23:09:45

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think this may actually be a bug, I'll attach the file that did the tests for investigation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2067306/corona_report/bug_normal%20map.zip

2013-10-14, 23:18:43
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
What is the problem? The faceting on the terminator line?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-10-14, 23:29:47
Reply #2

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, when I use "normal map" the shadow is faceted, as if not smoothed the surfaces.

This is the correct result.

2013-10-15, 03:49:22
Reply #3

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried to put the gamma at 2.2, the render is not correct but the error did not show up, is not it something with the color space?

2013-10-15, 09:26:28
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I tried to put the gamma at 2.2, the render is not correct but the error did not show up, is not it something with the color space?

You changed gamma where?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-10-15, 10:11:03
Reply #5

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you get rid of the terminator effect by increasing subdivisions on your model... But I don't get how gamma could affect this (maybe hiding the effect in dark areas :D).

2013-10-15, 16:01:43
Reply #6

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maru: Using "Color Correction", as you turn to advanced mode and will have the option to change the gamma.
About my previous comment, I confuse, in realy I made ​​a de-gamma, as the texture is 8bit she is not linear, this gamma 2.2 was embedded. The Normal map shader of Corona asks for it not be done, as I said the render is wrong but the problem disappears, which made ​​me think that may be associated with the color space.

lacilaci: I have not changed the subdivisions of the model, when we use normal map subdivisions should not interfere with the final result, remember that it is used also in low poly models. And the gamma is directly connected to the correct result of the normal map, when working with 3ds max linearized you need to make a de-gamma in texture of normal map for it to work properly.

I even tried to use a texture linearized but had no effect,  I prefer no more try guessing the problem, kkkkkkkkkkkk

2013-10-15, 16:12:09
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hmm... can you render me the "normal difference" pass for both cases?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-10-15, 17:53:11
Reply #9

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so no matter what ammount of subdivisions you use it shows the terminator effect?

This is what i've got..

what build do you use?

2013-10-15, 18:19:36
Reply #10

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
lacilaci, what happens is that when you increase the subdivision the error starts to become imperceptible, because it happens on the faces of the object, as the smaller the face unless the error will appear.
But if you have to increase subdivision of the object to be certain it no longer makes sense to use normal map, in which case you use a displacement.

By the way, I'm not using any build

2013-10-15, 18:46:54
Reply #11

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, i get it... You are actually trying to get rid of shadow terminator using normal map, right?

2013-10-16, 00:06:18
Reply #12

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Keymaster: Sorry I forgot the render pass you asked, I did all passes of normals and the "normal geometry" realizes the "faceted"

normalsDiscrepancy

normalsDotProduct

normalsShading

normalsGeometry

2013-10-16, 00:12:04
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, everything looks normal. I'll take a look once I get it working again

2013-10-16, 00:23:23
Reply #14

tiagodmed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, I stopped making assumptions, kkkkkkkkkkkk :P