Author Topic: adding a label to a clear glass bottle bottle  (Read 719 times)

2024-02-28, 03:33:19

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to know how to add a text label to a glass bottle. I tried using the Decal feature in Corona, but it didn't work (the label would not show on the bottle). I have also tried just adding the label to the selected polygons, but the label completely covers over the glass (and the colored fluid inside of it). The label is just text on a transparent background, so there should not be any reason for it to obscure the glass or the contents in the bottle. I know this should be a relatively easy process, but I have not been able to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. And please be as detailed as possible with your replies as I am very new to Corona.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-28, 04:57:52 by Erich »

2024-02-28, 05:03:19
Reply #1

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was able to make some progress with this, using a layered material. However, the results are still not want I need. As you can see in the image attached, the text label appears on both sides of the bottle. I need it to be on just one side. Also the text is white and should be black. I think I can fix this just be inverting the text color in Photoshop, but I don't know how to prevent the text from showing on the other side of the bottle.

Any help would be appreciated.

2024-02-28, 09:16:11
Reply #2

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's best to send your collected file, it's hard to guess what you are doing wrong otherwise.
Do you understand UV mapping?

2024-02-28, 09:20:36
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This can be quite easily done with Corona Decal ;)
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-02-28, 09:42:14
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Perhaps you can share your decal setup?

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-02-28, 19:00:00
Reply #5

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have tried to use Corona decal but it doesn't seem to work. You can see in the screenshot that I have applied CDecal using a bitmap, but the map does not show on the Decal material preview or in the interactive renderer.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-28, 19:12:50 by Erich »

2024-02-28, 19:33:22
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you check and follow the tutorial at
? A good starting point if you are unsure of decals. You haven't shown us what material was applied to the decal object, that would be critical to see (e.g. if no material applied to the decal object, or the same material as the base object, then no result will be seen).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-28, 19:57:05
Reply #7

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

I have tried to use Corona decal but it doesn't seem to work. You can see in the screenshot that I have applied CDecal using a bitmap, but the map does not show on the Decal material preview or in the interactive renderer.

Apparently you just applied the mask and did not apply any material to the decal. I am also not sure where and how the decal is placed.
Anyways, the tutorial should give all the information you need to get started with decals and much more.
Be sure to check it out.

2024-02-28, 20:35:56
Reply #8

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you check and follow the tutorial at
? A good starting point if you are unsure of decals. You haven't shown us what material was applied to the decal object, that would be critical to see (e.g. if no material applied to the decal object, or the same material as the base object, then no result will be seen).

Thanks Tom. I think that was the problem. I had the bitmap applied in the map slot, but I did not have material applied to the decal object. Once I added that it seemed to work. One question I have though is that I am applying a transparent label with just text to a glass object. Should I use a glass material on the decal object (since the label is to be applied on glass), or just the Corona default material? I did use the default material and it seemed to work. Thanks for sharing that video. :)

2024-02-28, 23:24:52
Reply #9

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Think of decals as an additional layer on top of the base object, with its own material, separate from base object. Remember also, that you can specify which channels the decal shall affect.

If it is a paint over the glass, you can use simple material with its mask. But if you want an engraving on the glass (material stays the same), you can just set the bump/displacement in decal, and setup the material accordingly.

2024-02-29, 00:25:07
Reply #10

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Think of decals as an additional layer on top of the base object, with its own material, separate from base object. Remember also, that you can specify which channels the decal shall affect.

If it is a paint over the glass, you can use simple material with its mask. But if you want an engraving on the glass (material stays the same), you can just set the bump/displacement in decal, and setup the material accordingly.

Great. Thank you.

2024-03-01, 08:36:52
Reply #11

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
On another note. I'm curious about using Corona decals for bottle labels. My concern is, what if I need to tweak the label later? For instance, imagine I have a whisky label with a black and white image, some gold lines, and maybe silver ones too. Now, let's say my client wants to switch some of the gold lines to silver. Can I easily modify the label colors using Corona decals, or is there a better way to approach this?

2024-03-01, 08:54:50
Reply #12

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
On another note. I'm curious about using Corona decals for bottle labels. My concern is, what if I need to tweak the label later? For instance, imagine I have a whisky label with a black and white image, some gold lines, and maybe silver ones too. Now, let's say my client wants to switch some of the gold lines to silver. Can I easily modify the label colors using Corona decals, or is there a better way to approach this?

Well, if the label parts are made using separate decals with their own material, then changing the color should be very easy to do.
If there is one image used for the whole decal, then masking (masks) and other workarounds should be possible.

I would say if the label takes much of graphic design, which is better to be done in other software than Max, then just update it and refresh the label, or create masks for the part which are about to change and do the change in the decal/material.

2024-03-01, 18:01:04
Reply #13

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Well, if the label parts are made using separate decals with their own material, then changing the color should be very easy to do.
If there is one image used for the whole decal, then masking (masks) and other workarounds should be possible.

I would say if the label takes much of graphic design, which is better to be done in other software than Max, then just update it and refresh the label, or create masks for the part which are about to change and do the change in the decal/material.

Ok, that sounds great. Thank you for your reply. :)