Author Topic: Phoenix wave splash against wall (huge scale)  (Read 6231 times)

2021-03-29, 09:41:56
Reply #15

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I managed to get close to the result i wanted after a lot of trial and error (and a 12h sim). Man, I need more drive space for this stuff! :)

Georgi, is it possible to drive the phoenix ocean independently of the sim "grid" itself? Right now I have great "stormy waves" simulated in the grid in the foreground, but the surrounding ocean in the background looks rather calm. I tried making a specific oceantex map to drive the Waveobject and a different one for the displacement put under the "render" tab in the sim, but that last one will still affect the simmed stormy waves and mess that up. 

Would be great if I could have a different layered material for the background water (displacement driven by its own oceantex + foam with the foamtex) and then just a normal water shader for the simmed waves in foreground with foam driven by the sim splashes etc.
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2021-03-29, 17:52:52
Reply #16

georgi.zhekov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm afraid that matching the waves in the simulator to the displacement outside is still not possible. It is in our to do list though, so will add your vote for it as well.

As for the different materials - what should happen at the border of the simulator, how would the two shaders blend?

2021-03-29, 18:00:09
Reply #17

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I'm afraid that matching the waves in the simulator to the displacement outside is still not possible. It is in our to do list though, so will add your vote for it as well.

As for the different materials - what should happen at the border of the simulator, how would the two shaders blend?

hmm good question, I'm sure you have some amazing devs who can think of something :) Maybe along the lines of your cascade function or if one could maybe link two oceantex together, it could "know" where the sim grid ended, read the waveobject data/cache from that and somehow do a blend of those two? I have no idea what is possible.

I "solved" it by just rendering from a bit lower fixed angle, having the sim only output a cap mesh and the I placed a large plane behind the sim (towards the horizon) with it's own oceantex displacement that I tweaked to match the look of the stormy waves in the foreground.

I have simulated 600frames and I'm at 300gigs now, I probably only need the last 300-400frames, so I tried to remove frame cache 1-199 from the sim folder so I wouldn't have to upload it all to the farm, but if I do that, max crashes on render start. Should I or can I do it differently?

2021-03-29, 18:12:42
Reply #18

georgi.zhekov

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have simulated 600frames and I'm at 300gigs now, I probably only need the last 300-400frames, so I tried to remove frame cache 1-199 from the sim folder so I wouldn't have to upload it all to the farm, but if I do that, max crashes on render start. Should I or can I do it differently?

Can you give me a bit more details on the rendering part? - it should be working without issues.

Are you rendering with Corona, if yes which version? Are you rendering a sequence, are you starting from a frame where there is no cache, is there motion blur enabled?

2021-03-29, 20:00:16
Reply #19

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
ah sorry, yes:

Render is corona 6.0 hotfix 1 (latest stable), max 2020.
I have tried to render just a single still, a sequence, having the time slider set to frame 200, tried with setting the scene time frame to start from 200, motion blur not enabled. I'm 99% sure it's a vray thing again as I tried to load the same scene in max 2021. Same result, but when I uninstalled vray5 on max 2021 it renders without that crash.

After Easter I will try to setup scenes and reproduce these crashes if I have time. We are reinstalling everything from scratch in those days. My deadline is tomorrow, so I just wanted to hear if I maybe had missed a setting. For now I'm uploading to the 3rd party cloud farm we are using and I'm hoping it won't crash there (as it in some way works on max 2021 without vray5 so I just think something is corrupt on my end). Generally speaking having vray5 installed (not using it, but just having it installed as I thought it was needed for phoenix), has given a lot of weird bugs and crashes. Some I have posted last week via your helpdesk.

2021-03-30, 11:33:29
Reply #20

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
*just to ping you*

Georgi, is there a way to increase sub sampling of an plane with the oceantex map as vector displacement in Corona? In phoenix sim, you can do it under the rendering tab, but for one of my shots, I have to use just a normal plane and I'm getting some "glitches" in the ocean with suddenly a long wave appearing for 1 frame and then it goes away again. Happens every now and again. So I'm thinking it might be due to some setting in the oceantex as rest of animation is fine.

2021-03-30, 12:54:09
Reply #21

georgi.zhekov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
*just to ping you*

Georgi, is there a way to increase sub sampling of an plane with the oceantex map as vector displacement in Corona? In phoenix sim, you can do it under the rendering tab, but for one of my shots, I have to use just a normal plane and I'm getting some "glitches" in the ocean with suddenly a long wave appearing for 1 frame and then it goes away again. Happens every now and again. So I'm thinking it might be due to some setting in the oceantex as rest of animation is fine.

Sounds like a bug but I can't reproduce it on our side. There are no specific settings for this I'm afraid. Is this on the same machine that we suspected of having issues with the memory?
Is it possible to send over the scene?

Thanks!