Author Topic: Normal maps in Corona  (Read 12656 times)

2021-04-09, 12:04:27
Reply #45

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
it's because i made low-poly with smoothing groups/hard edges.

Are you referring to smoothing groups by UV shells?

Marmoset has option to bake in 3ds Max tangent space, but no support for UDIM; tradeoffs

2021-04-09, 15:31:01
Reply #46

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Are you referring to smoothing groups by UV shells?

Actually it's the other way round - UV has to have seams where there's hard edges on the low-poly model. You don't make hard edge just because there's UV seam, you make them because you want better control over smoothing and less stress on normal map.

Marmoset has option to bake in 3ds Max tangent space, but no support for UDIM; tradeoffs

You don't need Marmoset to bake normal map in specific tangent space, you just need that your app would be able to bake object space normal map and then use Handplane to convert normal map to whatever space you need. I used Marmoset just because it has much more convenient (and at that time faster) baker than Painter.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-04-09, 22:49:06
Reply #47

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
You don't need Marmoset to bake normal map in specific tangent space, you just need that your app would be able to bake object space normal map and then use Handplane to convert normal map to whatever space you need. I used Marmoset just because it has much more convenient (and at that time faster) baker than Painter.

That's right! +1