Author Topic: "Holdout" render option / Material Checkbox  (Read 3158 times)

2015-07-13, 12:58:25

rfletchr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to introduce an option in corona to have a "flagged" object or material render as alpha 0 but still give its full contribution (gi/reflections) to the scene?

So effectively it would be like having a shadow catcher on the selection set to "Always Transparent" but without the loss of contribution.

Mentalray has a feature called render subsets theres a nice usage case here http://www.ramyhanna.com/2010/03/power-of-render-selected.html

being able to render just a subset of objects with full contribution and occlusion is extremely helpfull when your sending stuff on to a comp department.

2015-07-13, 13:20:48
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am not sure, but I think leaving "direct visibility" empty for rayswitch material is what you are seeking.

"Render selected" is another thing, it was already requested multiple times and will be implemented eventually.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-07-13, 13:52:53
Reply #2

rfletchr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting, ill check that out. Thanks Maru

2015-07-13, 13:56:17
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Those are two separate things, or at least two separate ways to do same thing.

Basically, first one is render of selected objects only. Not isolating them in the scene, but rendering only cutouts of those visible objects. That feature is already being implemented, and will be available soon.

Second one is making objects invisible to camera, but visible to everything else. That can be achieved the way Maru has explained.

I can't imagine how painful would it be to fake render selected feature by plugging most of the scene materials through rayswitcher just to achieve render selected effect, so first way is probably a lot more desirable.

2015-07-13, 15:07:05
Reply #4

rfletchr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
atleast i can script this and have a stop gap. but yes having a more direct way of doing this would be very very usefull. I would like to see per object contol on it rather than just "render Selected" though as it would lend itself better to a solid pipeline

2015-07-13, 16:54:46
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The idea is to have it working somewhat similar to Vray. Initially, it will have 3 modes: rendering viewport selection, rendering all objects with specified Object ID, and rendering all the objects added to include/exclude list.

2015-08-29, 18:01:00
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
implemented
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)