Author Topic: Mac Studio Experience?  (Read 11146 times)

2023-02-08, 16:19:23
Reply #45

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Chules There is a large thread somewhere about this performance issue for the new Macs. I thought i remember someone mentioning some type of workaround to get the performance up, but can't remember exactly. Curious if you install an app like Macs Fan Control so you can monitor the temperature. Does the slowdown happen when a certain temp is reached, or is the slowdown a preventative based on the load?

What happen if you have a fan blowing on it or run it in a cold room? Does that keep the temps down and does that affect the render times?
« Last Edit: 2023-02-09, 22:33:08 by BigAl3D »

2023-02-08, 17:59:11
Reply #46

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
On my Mac studio Ultra with 128Gb all works as it should, all cores fully on close to 2000% with all night renders.  I think the performance problems are realated to Macbooks.
Interesting to know if the new M2 Macbooks pro max have these issues as well. I was thinking of getting a Macbook pro max with 96Gb but if rendering slows back to a throttled mode its a waist of money.
« Last Edit: 2023-02-08, 18:03:27 by frv »

2023-02-09, 09:04:45
Reply #47

Chules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Chules There is a large thread somewhere about this performance issue for the new Macs. I thought i remember someone mentioning some type of workaround to get the performance up, but can't remember exactly. Curious if you install an app like Macs Fan Control so you can monitor the temperature. Does the slowdown happen when a certain temp is reached, or is the slowdown a preventative based on the load?

What happen if you have a fan blowing on it or run it in a cold room? Does that keep the temps down and does that affect the temps?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will test and tell you the results. All the best.

2023-02-09, 09:06:57
Reply #48

Chules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
On my Mac studio Ultra with 128Gb all works as it should, all cores fully on close to 2000% with all night renders.  I think the performance problems are realated to Macbooks.
Interesting to know if the new M2 Macbooks pro max have these issues as well. I was thinking of getting a Macbook pro max with 96Gb but if rendering slows back to a throttled mode its a waist of money.
Thanks for the information. This week I'm going to order the mac studio!!! I love the infographics and homes you have on your website. All the best.

2023-02-09, 22:33:39
Reply #49

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Whoops. I edited my previous postto:

"Does that keep the temps down and does that affect the RENDER times?"