Author Topic: Brick Material Shader  (Read 2539 times)

2019-09-22, 14:01:32

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice, tips on a way to produce a shader that replicates the following Reference. It is a brick that has one chiseled face. It's for a personal animation project i am looking to do, which will involve one shot of the sunlight rotating round the eliptical facade to show off this chiseled detail.

https://imgur.com/T36e0eM Photograph by NAARO - Bishop Edward King Chapel

Therefore i need the bricks to be each unique.

i was hoping to use a selection tag to displace one face and use the variation effect to create variation in the UVW noise so that each displaced face is unique. However, it produced an undesirable result pulling the displaced face away from the rest of the brick, which makes sense.

Second try was splitting the displaced face away from the rest of the model and closing the hole. I think moved this face inside the brick so that the displacement would look as if it came from the brick. However it just seems a little messy, i feel like there could be a better way to create this.

Thanks in advance. I've attached a basic scene, with what i have so far. Feel free to play with it.

https://imgur.com/lH4f05f
« Last Edit: 2019-09-22, 14:05:17 by KubaW »

2019-09-22, 16:14:06
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd use a cloner to distribute the bricks and a noise shader in world mode to get the variations in displacement.

2019-09-22, 19:06:52
Reply #2

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I simply changed the noises to world here.

2019-09-22, 21:40:39
Reply #3

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Spot on Cinemike, Kudos to you, that is exactly what i am looking for! (y) thanks for your help on that!

2019-09-22, 21:47:59
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great! Glad it works for you!