Author Topic: Corona Lights display performance  (Read 6745 times)

2015-08-19, 01:05:16

Guillermo Leal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolucion Visual
I haven't found anyone mentioning this, maybe most people use very few lights. but the viewport display performance of corona lights its extremely slow. the current scene I'm working on has around 800 lights and its just impossible to navigate, i get about  2fps on a dual xeon 2650 with a cuadro k4200 and the same thing happens on an i7 with GTX titan, this on max 2014, 2015 or 2016. as a reference for vray lights i get about 9 fps, its also slow but much better.

am i missing something or this is just how it is with corona lights?

Guillermo Leal.

2015-08-19, 01:21:22
Reply #1

rfletchr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why not just hit CTRL+L to toggle viewport lighting off? is there some usefull purpose to having all those lighting being calculated in D3D? or is it the viewport rendering of the light gizmos thats slow?

2015-08-19, 12:28:59
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I didn't fully understand OP's message either. Do you mean interactive rendering speed, viewport in realistic mode, or viewport in shaded mode? (or something else?) Can you send your scene, or similar with such problem, to support? ( https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new )
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-19, 15:27:18
Reply #3

Guillermo Leal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolucion Visual
something i didn't mentioned before was that i tried with all viewport modes. opengl, direct3D, Nitrous and its the same. and that they are ies corona lights

Maru, this is in the viewport navigation, while modeling, etc. it can be wireframe, shaded is the same.

its easy to replicate. create a corona light and assign an ies file and make 800 instances, the view port will become extremely slow to move around.

maybe a possible solution would be to have a checkbox like vraylight to disable the representation of the ies shape in the viewport?

gl

2015-08-19, 15:51:29
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Something is wrong indeed. And you don't have to add IES for this. Creating 800 sphere primitives with 16 segments each does not slow down viewport at all. Creating Corona lights, even rectangular, slows it down noticeably. Also, it could be that the "gizmo" (CoolLines(tm)) are there even if its size is set to 0.

Creating 800 Max's photometric lights with IES also introduces similar slowdown.

If you are using spherical/cylindrical/disc lights, you can decrease "segments" and enable "wireframe" option.

I will move this to bug reporting, although it probably requires some tiny "tweak".

2015-08-19, 16:00:06
Reply #5

Guillermo Leal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolucion Visual
perhaps that's way the vray light has the option to no show the ies shape.

thanks for looking into.

gl

2015-08-19, 16:02:24
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona has this option too. Just set gizmo size to 0. But this problem also appears if gizmo size is set to 0 or even when you are not using IES.

2015-11-06, 16:34:11
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I recall a recent report about having lower frame rate in viewport with multiple Corona Lights. They cannot be set to "display as box". So leaving this one.

If you set gizmo (CoolLines(tm)) to 0, is it removed, or does it still exist, only extremely small? Should setting it to 0 increase performance?

2015-11-06, 17:34:47
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
this can be optimized on corona's part, we will do it for 1.4
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-24, 23:02:59
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
should be now fixed
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-11-25, 14:32:22
Reply #10

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Bumping up this old topic, we have issues with viewport performance when having several hundred sphere lights in the file. The workaround, for now, is to have them as a disc with 3 sides and turn into a sphere before rendering, but is there any way to improve its performance with sphere lights? We`ve set gizmo to 0, wireframe visibility.

Thanks,
H

2022-11-25, 15:58:50
Reply #11

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Bumping up this old topic, we have issues with viewport performance when having several hundred sphere lights in the file. The workaround, for now, is to have them as a disc with 3 sides and turn into a sphere before rendering, but is there any way to improve its performance with sphere lights? We`ve set gizmo to 0, wireframe visibility.

Thanks,
H

Hi,

I have checked with 400 Corona Sphere Lights, both instances and copies, and the viewport performance is pretty bad with 16 segments of Sphere light. Making the segments 3 increases the performance significantly, but it is still not quite smooth.

Thanks for reporting this.

(Internal ID=1011974296)
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2022-11-25, 16:01:26
Reply #12

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Hi, thanks for looking into this. Yes, it gets tough to move, hope it will be sorted out.

Thanks,
H

2022-11-25, 19:14:26
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-29, 10:30:19
Reply #14

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Yes, but there is no solution yet?

2023-03-14, 12:03:39
Reply #15

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

This is fixed in the latest v10 daily build. Let me know how you get on. Cheers!

You can grab the build here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.msg210703#msg210703

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!