Author Topic: Super laggy material editor with Corona in Max 2023.1  (Read 1171 times)

2023-02-15, 11:17:21

gmh_2001

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Migrated from 3dsmax 2021 to 2023.1 with Corona 9 (hotfix 1) and the material editor has become very laggy sadly. My machine is a quick enough 3990x and RTX quadro 4000 with 128gb of ram on an up-to-date win 10 install. I note that a lot of people are having issues with this. Arnold has super fast UI in material editor, why not corona? Is anyone looking into this?

2023-02-20, 17:19:39
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, are you using the Slate or Compact material editor?
Could you test the newest daily build as there were some improvements to material editor speed in it? https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.0
Please keep in mind that daily builds are experimental and you should backup any important scenes before opening them in daily builds.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-06-21, 13:17:26
Reply #2

gmh_2001

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-06-26, 11:53:25
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, could you please try with Corona 10 and let us know if the issue is still there?
https://blog.corona-renderer.com/chaos-corona-10-released/
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-07-15, 15:25:19
Reply #4

gmh_2001

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mat editor (compact) is still slower than naitive arnold render engine by far. But I have also found that the mouse with high-polling rates effects UI a lot too.

2023-07-16, 11:12:28
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Devs do seem to look at this as a bug on some user's PCs, mine included but I come to same conclusion as you, other engines in Max don't behave this way, even stock Autodesk PhysicalMTL is pretty much instant, not super fast, instant, blink of eye.
Latest Threadrippers, Xeons, fastest laptop i9 HX,.. Windows 10 or Windows 11, Quadro or GeForce, Studio or Regular drivers. All the same. It's something in the design itself.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-07-16, 13:24:43
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The reason why Autodesk/Arnold/Vray mats have a faster UI ist that they switched to the Qt UI framework.
Max UI has been been ported over to Qt in recent years - by far not everything - but the render dialog for example will be faster in other renderers too because of this, but only if they 'rewrite' their UI to be Qt-native. So a similar difference will be visible with the render dialog.

Corona devs are hesitant to switch because it would mean they'd have to maintain both UI frameworks - the old win32 and the new Qt one - simultaneously in order to keep Corona backwards compatible with older Max versions. It can be done, but it's quite some work from why I understand, see Vray's blog entry from a few months ago: https://www.chaos.com/blog/the-qt-fication-of-v-ray

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I thought it's good to know for those who didn't yet and feel that material editor is super slow. In addition to that, Max has seen more or less cosmetic changes to Slate and it's possible that they messed up something that worked well before, even if you work with classic material editor only.

2023-07-16, 15:07:33
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
wow I thought the qT thing is something 3dsMax did and it simply propagates to every instance, including every Corona menu.
So Corona is not utilizing it? How does that even work when compact material editor between Corona and Vray is the same one.. can't wrap my head around this.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!