Author Topic: CoronaPattern not receiving caustics  (Read 1525 times)

2023-02-06, 13:39:17

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nothing to explain - seems like caustics don't see the pattern.

2023-02-06, 14:07:40
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It's working here in a very simple test scene. This means best thing to do is share an image showing your result, that way we can see how complex the scene is, what kind of set up you have, and so on.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-02-06, 14:10:19
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
(also, which version of Corona? I am using the 10 daily build from Jan 31st)

2023-02-06, 17:21:02
Reply #3

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, here are fast interactive renders

First two - without corona pattern
Two next - copy of the same object with corona pattern mod.

The scene is quite big and complex but for previews I isolated just 4 objects. The reflective surface, sun + 2 objects to receive caustics (one with pattern)

Latest corona daily.

2023-02-06, 18:25:20
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting! The second image in each pair is the Caustics render element? If so then the one with Pattern does show something on there so it isn't that nothing is happening on the Pattern just that it is different. That makes me wonder about the surface normals etc. of the object being Patterned. Can you check by patterning say, a simple cube? I'd also be interested in the Pattern version where the material on the Pattern is set to a plain default Corona Mtl in case there is any bump/normal/rounded edges that might be affecting the direction the faces are pointing in. Also, is this Legacy of Physical material on the Patterned objects, out of interest? Thanks!

PS and perhaps reset xforms on the object being Patterned. You never know :)

2023-02-07, 16:42:03
Reply #5

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You never know :)

Yeah))) Seems like the problem is solved by replacing the material of the patterned object.

The weird thing is in the attachments.
Material marked red - producing the wrong result.
Marked green seems to be correct.

While those materials look the same. I compared them step by step and didn't notice any differences. I tried to select the "default" preset for marked red - no changes.

2023-02-07, 17:04:03
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Still very interesting - was the scene created in an earlier version of Corona maybe, even an earlier daily build? And the non-working material (marked in red) is one that was imported from that? Just trying to figure why two identical-seeming materials might be different.

2023-02-07, 17:34:58
Reply #7

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The scene itself is quite old, probably half a year (long playing project), but the material, as well as the pattern, was created after 3rd February, so it was created with the latest daily.
Just a couple of days ago and I already don't remember where it came from))) Not sure if I created it from scratch or imported it as legacy and then converted it to physical (and if so - how it was converted, manually or by the converter).

But the problem is definitely in the material: if I make a copy and apply it - the results are the same. So something inside that I can't see (or just not noticed) causes the problem.
« Last Edit: 2023-02-07, 17:41:07 by v.p.vlasenko »

2023-02-07, 18:13:36
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You could send us the scene with just a cube and the problem material in it, for us to have a look at. Meantime, am I right in thinking that you can fix the actual production scene by replacing that material, and then attaching all the maps to the new Physical Material?

2023-02-08, 13:42:53
Reply #9

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Meantime, am I right in thinking that you can fix the actual production scene by replacing that material, and then attaching all the maps to the new Physical Material?

yep, correct.
Material without maps attached.

2023-02-08, 19:36:18
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Merging that into my simple test scene, it worked fine, so it didn't offer any clues for me as to why it was broken in your original scene. TY for sharing that problem material though!

2023-02-10, 13:15:02
Reply #11

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Here are my findings. It is not related to a specific old or new material, it happens with newly created Physical and Legacy materials as well.

Object with Pattern modifier will not receive caustics (or receive correctly), if it has "Use pattern material" enabled, and has no or any other than Pattern node's material assigned.
If "Use pattern material" is disabled, caustics work as expected always.

The solution in your case will be to assign the same pattern node material, or any other you, directly to the base object, which has pattern modifier.
Hope this helps.
This is also reported. Thank you.

(Internal ID=1053318988)
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-02-27, 20:40:45
Reply #12

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

This is fixed in the latest v10 daily build. You can grab it from here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.msg210105#msg210105

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!