Author Topic: 3ds Max Crash with Corona 3 Hotfix 1 + FumeFx 5.0.2.1 EDU  (Read 2194 times)

2019-03-07, 00:26:56

FatG

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,
i read daily this forum but this is my first post and, unfortunately, i'm here to write regarding a bug i think i found.

Software Used : 3ds Max 2019.3
                        Corona Rendere 3 Hotfix 1
                        FumeFx 5.0.2.1 EDU

The problem : I created a scene with a plane and a FumeFx "Grid", then inside FumFx UI i created a FFX Simple Source and start caching; when completed i try to render a frame but Max/Corona freezes on "Parsing Scene" fase and a couple of  seconds later crashes ( see attached image "ParsingScene"), sometime with Error Report Window and, most of the time, just crashing and quitting without error message.

All the render and FumeFx (except for the cache directory) settings are set to default, but i tried to change almost all the settings and/or to  add light, materials,change Env map etc etc but the result is always the same.

The same scene with Arnold or Scanline doesn't have this problem, so i suppose it's correlate with Corona.

I attach the scene test described above so you can recreate the problem by yourself, just open it, set the cache ( in the zip file too) or create a new one, and hit render.

There is also a dump file in the zip for further investigation.

I know there is limitations in Corona with Volumetric FX as i read here https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000040687-volumetric-fx-known-bugs-and-limitations , but as far i can understand it should be possible rendering FumeFx volumes directly without save it as .vdb and import with CVolumeGrid (which work quite well).

I just started to learn VFX and I would like to use Corona to render my experiments because i think it's a great render engine and i use it for all my other works.

Hope you can fix this soon and if you need more information just ask.

Gabriele

2019-03-07, 14:59:47
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for your report. We are aware of this, and we are solving this issue together with the Afterworks team.
Currently the suggested workaround is to export from Fume FX to OpenVDB format and load it into the Corona Volume Grid.

We will let you know in this forum thread about any updates on this issue.

(internal id=312887061)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-03-07, 21:25:08
Reply #2

FatG

• Users
    • View Profile
I can not wait for this problem to be solved, meantime i will use Corona Volume Grid.

Thank you maru.

2019-04-07, 00:11:04
Reply #3

Hardleft121

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any information regarding this?  I love Corona but the backward progress on using FumeFX with Corona is disappointing.

2019-06-14, 12:58:47
Reply #4

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Latest info on FumeFX compatibility:

Unfortunately, FumeFX 5.0 and above are still not 100% compatible with Corona and we are working on it. In the meantime, consult this helpdesk article for step-by-step instructions on how to export VDB files from FumeFX and use them with Corona Volume Grid: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000042125