Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.5  (Read 113771 times)

2016-08-17, 17:49:38
Reply #315

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yay for the distance tex visible in viewport!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-08-17, 18:04:43
Reply #316

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so you would prefer to have the falloff fixed at 0?

Definitely agree with Romullus on this one, I always felt like falloff value of 0.1 (maybe 0.2) should actually be 1. Anything stronger than that gives heavy artistic results.

If falloff is exposed in config file, then it doesn't matter really. But you should fix bug with save defaults first ;]

With this however, I don't agree. Coronas philosophy is simplicity, users don't want to go digging around config files or inputting strings options, we still have Mental ray for that :D It's just one easily understandable slider, not much is gained by removing it.

2016-08-17, 18:08:25
Reply #317

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would say nothing gained :(

2016-08-17, 19:17:03
Reply #318

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, will change the default to 0
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-18, 14:12:08
Reply #319

j_forrester

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In terms of the Distance Map it would be great to have "inside separate, inside solid, outside separate, outside solid" like Vray. These can be quite handy so you can use the object as a boundary object to enclose a colour/texture as opposed to just setting the distance from the object on the outside.

It would also be great to have a button where you can add selected objects to the "node input", just easier to select objects in the view port and add these with a single click of a button.

2016-08-18, 17:31:55
Reply #320

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
In terms of the Distance Map it would be great to have "inside separate, inside solid, outside separate, outside solid" like Vray. These can be quite handy so you can use the object as a boundary object to enclose a colour/texture as opposed to just setting the distance from the object on the outside.

It would also be great to have a button where you can add selected objects to the "node input", just easier to select objects in the view port and add these with a single click of a button.

Totally agree, I've mentioned those slots in a post on a previous page - when doing exteriors  "inside separate, inside solid, outside separate, outside solid" for instance means doing some quick and easy to do background roads with inside textured with some seamless asphalt texture and falloff from object with some sand or gravel, or lakes and rivers with their sandy banks etc.  not to mention use in displacement possibilities - well there are numerous usage scenarios for those slots for sure so, again, I totally agree we need those in Corona's Distance map.
 As for add selected, I agree about it too - would be pretty nice to have that too.

What I like, and like very much is it's already present ability for Corona Distance to be used as pre render map (as Maru found out yesterday) - so Yay indeed for that ! Now it is possible to use it in a mix with some displacement texture and put it into regular displacement modifier - so one can get displaced ground and scattered grass\trees\rocks on top of it without the usual problems rendertime displacement causes in those situations - that would better illustrate what I mean http://clip2net.com/s/3Blx7uK , the same Distance map drives some of terrain's material mask and rendertime displacement http://c2n.me/3BlxxTm to produce somewhat ugly misaligned ugly road texture )) The cause of this misalignment with viewport preview (vertex colors baking and not updating perhaps ?) I'm investigating right now but it seems it just didn't update\recalculate after I changed a Distance map driving renderable spline's patch - and it doesn't update no matter what I do - so probably that's a bug or maybe some simple solution like adding recalculate\redraw viewport preview button in Distance map's interface could solve such issues.

Overall, to counterweight inevitable argument about Corona's philosophy of simplicity in advance - Distance texture is in no way fitting in that logic at all, as it it's pretty advanced stuff as far as workflow using it goes and I think it should be as customizable and feature rich as it can get. I think some beginner users will never ever find a use for a map like that in their workflow at all so why bother making it simple to understand and use for them at the expense of features ?

Some semi random thoughts - there is this pretty useful thingy http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/gradientedge.htm - maybe some inspiration could be taken from it and put into Corona Distance map as well ? Like operation on same object's edges, smoothing groups and material id's ?
 And yet another - Vertex color baking\transition from Corona Distance map to a mesh's vertex color channel - it might be tremendously useful in some situations I think.
 All this could really benefit Corona for some serious and advanced workflows and would make it's implementation of DistanceTex really stand out from the rest and not be some +- simplified version of a Vray's one as it is right now, except for viewport operation possibility ))
« Last Edit: 2016-08-18, 17:45:03 by antanas »

2016-08-19, 18:10:54
Reply #321

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
New daily should finally solve the crashes when a bitmap is being re-saved in photoshop during rendering, please try it out when you have the chance
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-19, 18:41:44
Reply #322

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Render had to be aborted because a bitmap on disk changed and is being reloaded. Continuing the render could cause crash or undefined behavior. Bitmap name is: B:\projects\_kProjects\k102_coyote_ugly\sceneassets\images\k102_v2_wc_pictr.jpg

No crashes... just stopped rendering

BUT corona render dialogue window shows build from 15 aug... is it ok?

2016-08-19, 18:46:07
Reply #323

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is it OK?

2016-08-20, 16:32:47
Reply #324

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is it possible to make in Corona Convent script, option to automatic convent Legacy mode of material's - to "PBR mode" for old scenes files???//
when might this requirement ,not to do this manually///
« Last Edit: 2016-08-20, 16:39:35 by denisgo22 »

2016-08-20, 18:16:41
Reply #325

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
is it possible to make in Corona Convent script, option to automatic convent Legacy mode of material's - to "PBR mode" for old scenes files???//
when might this requirement ,not to do this manually///
I don't think that would be good material compatibility\same look retaining vise, as the glossiness curve\values changed quite drastically in 1.5 (you can read more on this here https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12547.0.html in a brilliant as always dubcat's thread) thus the need to introduce that PBR mode ON\OFF tick had become inevitable as otherwise you would need to do some manual correction and remap ALL of glossiness maps in ALL of those pre 1.5 materials - be it some textures or procedurals.
 The only viable solution to do so using Corona converter, I think, would be if C.C. could automatically apply that most useful Glossiness 1.4 to 1.5.CUBE dubcat made for all glossiness maps and procedurals but ONLY in those materials which have PBR mode tick set to off - only then enabling PBR mode in older scenes would not let into an utter disaster, aka dull concrete like glossiness on almost all of the reflecting materials. Probably Corona Converter's maker could do that, even if that would mean the need to use VRayLUT.map (as Corona have none of its own sam purpose map right now) but you surely need to post this request in it's appropriate https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,126.930.html thread - as from as far as I know Deadclown is not a member of Corona's team (well maybe a honorary one or at least he surely deserves to be such) and does maintain the Converter out of sheer goodwill so to say, + for some reason he is rarely seen in this daily thread so he could easily miss this request. 

2016-08-20, 19:21:45
Reply #326

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
for some reason he is rarely seen in this daily thread so he could easily miss this request.
But I usually read most of the stuff that happens here :D Thing is, I have lots of other projects running right now and I have several pending requests/fixes for the converter and other scripts that I haven't done yet. I had planned to do a pre/post 1.5 conversion tool for the material converter but haven't started yet. First I wanted to make sure that the new glossiness stays as it is (you don't want to create those conversion curves twice!) but now, since it has been unchanged for quite a while, I will try to come up with something - just can't say when. Other thing is that I'm not entirely sure how to replace the old vray conversion curves with the new ones - I don't want to have 2 conversions going on. Now, in retrospective, I should have named the conversion maps better (separated by blinn and ggx). It may be tricky to figure out which is which.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-08-22, 15:45:36
Reply #327

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-08-22, 15:59:56
Reply #328

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
  • http://www.alexandre-besson.com
    • View Profile
    • Alexandre Besson portfolio
Hi,

I noticed an issue, corona distance doesn't seem to work on bump slot.

Thanks.

2016-08-22, 16:09:09
Reply #329

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think, it's related to how bump mapping works in 3ds max. Distance isn't lone map that doesn't work as bump, AO doesn't work too.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures