Author Topic: Huge slowdown when using corona distance  (Read 2712 times)

2021-02-09, 13:26:31

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have few materials. When applied to object separately speed ranging 7-14M. When mixed in multilayer material with corona distance - speed is 700k +/-

Same problem with opacity. I have a landscape model + a lot of buildings with pools. Bottom of pools below ground level - instead of cutting geometry I used corona distance to cut it during render - speed dropped twice.

Maybe that's correct behavior with opacity, but 10 times slowdown with mixing materials looks strange.

2021-02-10, 11:17:49
Reply #1

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Is this described in the scene you already sent to me? If so can you describe which materials and objects I should look at. And some reproduction steps on how to reproduce this slowdown.

Cheers,

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-265)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-02-10, 12:09:19
Reply #2

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, landscape model there (island)

There are 4 materials mixed in multilayer material. Each of those materials applied separately gives a way higher rays/s. Seems like from 7 to 14 million on my PC, but mixing them in multilayer gives something around 1M.

Actually I may be wrong and that not corona distance - I didn't tried a bitmap mask, maybe something with multilayer material.

Anyway, such slowdown looks weird.   

2021-08-31, 14:49:20
Reply #3

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Was anything discovered regarding this? I'm having the exact same issue. Corona distance maps in a corona layered material results in a perfomance drop from around 20mil rays to 5-6mil.

Did some tests (see screenshots) and it's clearly the distance maps causing these huge drops in performance.

A big sinner is also having a refractive material (I'm projecting lakes on the terrain via a water material and distance map).

Sum-up:
no bitmap white base only : 31mil rays total
no bitmap white base layered with mix of 3 standard max maps (noise, cellular and falloff): 19mill
4k bitmap as base layered with mix of 3 standard max maps: 17mill
4k bitmap as base layered with 1 white base mat and 1 distance map: 15mill
4k bitmap as base layered with 1 white base mat 1 water material and 2 distance map: 7.7mill

For each extra (non refractive) material and distance map, performance seems to drop 2mill rays.
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2021-09-06, 10:41:34
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

This is with our dev team, unfortunately I have no further update at the moment.

Would you be able to provide your testing scene also?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!