Author Topic: Improved selection options for all include/exclude lists  (Read 523 times)

2023-04-17, 14:20:16

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The standard include/exclude can work well in most cases but falls short when you have objects in XRef Scenes.

I would love it if I could include/exclude objects by layer for material override/lights/caustics/masks/render selection etc.

Example 1:
"Artist A" is working on the lighting of a scene and wants to see the cladding of a tower block that is in an XRef, whilst "Artist B" is still working on the model in the XRef.
Artist A either has to work without being able to see the material, or merge the XRef into the scene and manually update once "Artist B" has finished - losing one of the advantages of XRefs

Example 2:
A landscape file including plants is being shared by multiple artists and looks great in most renders, however in one scene some lights are affecting the foliage in a way that doesn't look great
The artist working on this shot wants to exclude those plants so that the rest of their shot can stay the same but remove the lights from the plant and knows that they are on a specific layer.
Once again they would have to merge the XRef into the scene in order to achieve this.

2023-04-18, 09:07:44
Reply #1

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello @RecentSpacesSam

unfortunately, at this moment it is not possible to improve selection option for the include/exclude list due to 3ds max limitations.
Corona developer team works to have our own include/exclude dialog.

2023-04-18, 14:39:13
Reply #2

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How so?

Some time ago I managed to mock up a workaround in maxscript that involved writing an array to a string stored in the scene's AppData
Code: [Select]
setAppData rootNode -500 (layer array as string)and then using a second "pre-render script" to find the nodes on those layers and append them to the exclude array.
It was a little messy but worked for local rendering, the issue was that it caused network renders on deadline to crash so I never pursued it further.

If it's not immediately possible, do you know why it might have been causing crashes on network renders?

2023-04-20, 17:43:27
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This might be possible in the future. We'll let you know once we have any news.

(Internal ID=1082607357)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us